Ckt Qty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Technically is a 2P circuit one or two circuits? I think I remember hearing some debate over this. Thanks.

It can be either. If you have a MWBC it can be two circuits, if it's just a 2-wire branch circuit like a 240 volt heater than it's one circuit.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
To add to what Infinity wrote:

A MWBC can also be considered as one circuit also. Depends.

:thumbsup:
In particular, it is one circuit when you are limited to one circuit (as in feeding a detached structure), and it is two circuits when two circuits are required (as in SABCs in a kitchen.)
:happyyes:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In particular, it is one circuit when you are limited to one circuit (as in feeding a detached structure), and it is two circuits when two circuits are required (as in SABCs in a kitchen.)

I often cite those examples and that's the reason I used the words can be in post #2. :)

mstrlucky74

I don't quite get that. Can you explain a little more. Thanks,

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I don't quite get that. Can you explain a little more. Thanks,
Read 210.4(A). The reality is that a MWBC is a single circuit but the code allows it to be considered multiple circuits.

Roger

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Read 210.4(A). The reality is that a MWBC is a single circuit but the code allows it to be considered multiple circuits.

Roger

One of the factors for that is that like any circuit with multiple hots and a common neutral serving line to neutral loads it can be split up at any point into single hot plus neutral runs to outlets (receptacle or other). And yet it is not a feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.