CKT WIRING and VD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you have 120/208 v panel with (1) 20a ckt feeding three different areas of lights(all off the same ONE ckt) and they are 75', 150 and 250' away. We will run MC for these to as close as possible to the panel. I am coming up that #6 wire is needed for the fixtures furthest away. This does not seem right. Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
If it is all in one direction from the panel that may well be what you need if you are being required to limit voltage drop. I have had to run 4 AWG for 20 amp receptacles and if we start talking about circuits for site lighting and power the runs might get much bigger than that.

On the other hand if the three loads are in different directions multiple home runs of 12 or 10 might work.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If it is all in one direction from the panel that may well be what you need if you are being required to limit voltage drop. I have had to run 4 AWG for 20 amp receptacles and if we start talking about circuits for site lighting and power the runs might get much bigger than that.

On the other hand if the three loads are in different directions multiple home runs of 12 or 10 might work.

Uggh/..lol..thanks......But if I HAVE to take one homerun 250' I don't see how #10or 12' would work for that distance. Thanks IWIRE!!!

skeshesh

Assuming a 2x2, 3 lamp fixture with 17W T8s the load is something like 50W per fixture. Assuming 5 fixtures as "a few" fixtures, we have around 250W so let's say around 2A. With a #12 run of 250ft. you're voltage drop will be less than %2. I think you're good.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Assuming a 2x2, 3 lamp fixture with 17W T8s the load is something like 50W per fixture. Assuming 5 fixtures as "a few" fixtures, we have around 250W so let's say around 2A. With a #12 run of 250ft. you're voltage drop will be less than %2. I think you're good.

Thanks.... very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.