CL2 wire in junction box with CL1 wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb56

I need to hook up 12VDC to a new low voltage lighting device I built that also requires 120 VAC. The device has separate connections for each and sits in a standard junction box. Question is: does code allow both the Class1 120VAC and the CL2 instrument wire rated at 300V (Carol Power Limited Circuit cable) to run to the same box? Section 725-54 does not seem to allow it, but there are exceptions. The CL2 wire is rated at 300V.

Thanks from a first timer.

Bob

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: CL2 wire in junction box with CL1 wire

Well, the first problem I see is "a new low voltage lighting device I built". You wouldn't be able to use it because it's not listed.

Your question then might be a moot point but 725.55(D) would permit it if the conditions were met. I would think that 725.55(D)(2)(b) would be the easiest if you used a Class 1 wiring rather than CL3.

bb56

Thanks for the post. I believe in full disclosure so yes, I built it. but is planned to be submitted for UL testing. The device should be ok, it was the wiring code that may make the product commercially viable or not.
I'll check out 725.55 to see how CL2 may be used. Class 1 (Romex) seems to be overkill for 12 VDC and may make it comercially unattractive.

Thanks for the pointer.

Bob

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

...Class 1 (Romex) seems to be overkill for 12 VDC and may make it comercially unattractive.

Maybe so BUT you can come out of your enclosure to a wiring compartment or J box with 18ga TFFN then splice it to anything you want. As long as the wiring in the enclosure with the line voltage wiring is of the same voltage rating.

Another possibility is to have a separate LV wiring compartment within the enclosure or an external terminal block on the back or side of the enclosure.

Stuff like this is designed all the time, shouldn't be a big deal.

[EDIT]
Ahh, Ok, I just reread your original post and see that you said: ...The device has separate connections for each and sits in a standard junction box.

This does present the problem that the J box is then your encloure (and I assume that this is meant also to be installed on existing wall boxes) and what I said above really is not applicable unless you design your product to fit on or over the J box with part of it overhanging say to one side (the larger dimmers do this). The overhang would allow for the LV connection outside of the box and would allow the use of any type of wire and make wiring easier since it doesn't have to be fished into the box.

Not quite as elegant as something smaller but I can't think of any way you would be allowed to bring LV wiring into the box otherwise unless it were, like you say Romex or similar.

[ February 17, 2004, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

bb56

I think you were right on the first time. I did a google on NEC 725.55 and came up with App notes with the code explanations of installing both Lutron Grafik Eye and Leviton D3200 controllers. Both docs say they meet NEC 725.55 and show pictures of both LV and HV entering same box. They make the case (I presume to show the inspector) that it meets code.

I think I can go with that. Thanks for your help.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.