Clarification 250.68(C)(2)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
250.68(C)(2) reads:
(2) The metal structural frame of a building shall be permitted to be used as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system, or as a grounding electrode conductor.
Hold-down bolts securing the structural steel column that are connected to a concrete-encased electrode that complies with 250.52(A)(3) and is located in the support footing or foundation shall be permitted to connect the metal structural frame of a building or structure to the concrete encased grounding electrode. The hold-down bolts shall be connected to the concrete-encased electrode by welding, exothermic welding, the usual steel tie wires, or other approved means

For clarification: Can we look at this as two different statements. In other words, can I use the structural frame of the building as a grounding electrode conductor to interconnect electrodes (period)
OR
can I only use it to interconnect electrodes IF the provisions of the 2nd part are met (hold down bolts connected to UFER) ??

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(y)
Follow up:
What advantage is gained by performing the "hold down bolt" part of this section if the steel frame is already considered a conductor.

Last edited:

david

250.68(C)(2) reads:
(2) The metal structural frame of a building shall be permitted to be used as a conductor to interconnect electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system,
the above would be considered a bonding jumper. There is no reference to the building steel having to qualify as a grounding electrode to use the steel as a bonding jumper
or as a grounding electrode conductor.
That is an interesting statement, considering it just said it could be used as a bonding jumper
Hold-down bolts securing the structural steel column that are connected to a concrete-encased electrode that complies with 250.52(A)(3) and is located in the support footing or foundation shall be permitted to connect the metal structural frame of a building or structure to the concrete encased grounding electrode. The hold-down bolts shall be connected to the concrete-encased electrode by welding, exothermic welding, the usual steel tie wires, or other approved means
Since as you are aware your dealing with vertical footers
For clarification: Can we look at this as two different statements. In other words, can I use the structural frame of the building as a grounding electrode conductor to interconnect electrodes (period)
OR
can I only use it to interconnect electrodes IF the provisions of the 2nd part are met (hold down bolts connected to UFER) ??
The advantage I guess is you do not need a 4awg copper bonding jumper since the building steel would be your bonding jumper or your grounding electrode conductor

You still could however still use the #4 awg copper obtion

david

250.50 (3)(1) if multiple pieces are connected together by.........or other effective means to create a 20ft greater in length.

I guess another advantage when you consider the building steel as a bonding jumper one 10 foot concrete electrode under one column bolted with Jay bolts and another concrete encased electrode under a different column could be considered bonded together to create a 20 ft length