Clarification on NEC PLTC cable

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Is there anything in the 2017 or 2020 NEC that states Class 1, PLTC control cable does NOT have to be rated for wet locations if it’s installed in underground conduit?
The 2023 Code clearly states all PLTC cable must be rated for wet per 722.179

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
All Tray Cables are listed for wet locations
I have never seen any that were not listed for wet locations, but the product standard does not require that TC be listed for wet locations. The manufacturer is permitted to use conductors that are only suitable for dry locations and if that is the case, then the TC cable will not be listed for wet locations.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is there anything in the 2017 or 2020 NEC that states Class 1, PLTC control cable does NOT have to be rated for wet locations if it’s installed in underground conduit?
The 2023 Code clearly states all PLTC cable must be rated for wet per 722.179

It does not say that. It says that all PLTC cable must be moisture resistance, but then goes on and says that PLTC cable used in wet locations must be be listed for use in wet locations.
Type PLTC nonmetallic-sheathed, power-limited tray cable shall be listed as being suitable for cable trays, resistant to the spread of fire, and sunlight- and moisture-resistant. Type PLTC cable used in a wet location shall be listed for use in wet locations and marked “wet” or “wet location".
Article 722 did not exist in the 2017 or 2020 codes, but the same language appears in 725.179(E) in those codes.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
It does not say that. It says that all PLTC cable must be moisture resistance, but then goes on and says that PLTC cable used in wet locations must be be listed for use in wet locations.

Article 722 did not exist in the 2017 or 2020 codes, but the same language appears in 725.179(E) in those codes.

Thanks Don.
Isn’t there also something in 725 that says if the circuitry falls under a class 1 power supply the cable insulation must be rated 600V by default?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks Don.
Isn’t there also something in 725 that says if the circuitry falls under a class 1 power supply the cable insulation must be rated 600V by default?

Class 1 circuits have to be installed using the Chapter 3 wiring methods. The conductors permitted to be used for Chapter 3 wiring methods as shown in Table 310.104 for older codes and 310.4 for newer codes, all have 600 volt insulation.

kenaslan

I believe that UL 2250 makes moisture resistance a requirement for the cable to have a TC listing. It cannot be a TC cable without that resistance.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I believe that UL 2250 makes moisture resistance a requirement for the cable to have a TC listing. It cannot be a TC cable without that resistance.
The code language I posted in post #5 says that, but a moisture resistant rating is not the same as a wet location rating. UL 2250 does not require a wet location rating...it is optional on the part of the manufacturer.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
The code language I posted in post #5 says that, but a moisture resistant rating is not the same as a wet location rating. UL 2250 does not require a wet location rating...it is optional on the part of the manufacturer.

Thanks for explaining this
Very helpful!