Class 1 Div 1 Ventilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaPa D 13

New User
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am installing a ventilation fan through the exterior wall of a class 1 division 1 room used to compress methane gas for supplying fuel for our generators. The ventilation fan would be mounted on the exterior wall of the room and operated by a switch located outside the building. I am sure this area would now be a classified area but I can not find it in the code. I have three questions.
1) Would this area around the fan now be a classified area? Please direct me to the proper code or codes.
2) I can install a supply fan drawing fresh air in to the room or I can install an exhaust fan pulling the air from the room. Will both options fall under the same code or will the supply fan fall under a different code or exception since It will be pressurizing the room? Since the fan will not be running continuously I believe it will not make a difference.
3) What if the motor was located outside of the airflow of the fan?
Thank you in advance for your he. Please provide all code references.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think once you cut a hole in the wall for the fan, at the very least there is a 6 foot volume around the hole that has to be division 2. That would seem to apply whether there is a fan in the hole or not.

I think you will have to get better advice from someone who does this for a living though.

I have seen this handled by putting the supply fan someplace (like up on the roof) that is not classified and running duct work to the classified area.

Status
Not open for further replies.