class 1 div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcleggett

We have space difficulty, not much available.
Can you use SO cord with proper fittings (cable glands rated for class 1 div 1)
to connect between (2) fixed junction boxes in class 1 div 1 location for LPG gas dispenser.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome !

IMO, No !
501.140 pretty much sums of the allowable use of Cords in a Class 1 Div 1 area.

From your description, I would be hard pressed to see justification in any location. Sounds like a violation of 400.8(1).

jcleggett

Was hoping there was some hope for the SOW or SOOW hard usage cable
that I was not reading somewhere.
The portable connection 501.140 was making it hard pressed, since ours needs to be for fixed.
Was hoping for something because of the space they have, which is next to none.

jcleggett

thanks,
I pretty much read it correctly, 501.140, but was hoping that I was missing something somewhere.
With the limited space it will be hard pressed to get anything connected, but I will figure something out.
Been doing this a long time and never ran into these space confinements.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you have room for two cord connectors and the cord, you have room for two nipples and an explosion proof union. Of course that assumes that the conduit entries line up with each other.
How far apart are the enclosures and do the conduit entries line up with each other? Have you looked at a Division 1 flexible coupling, commonly called explosion proof flex?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
If they align properly I?d follow Don?s first suggestion; if they don?t, I?d use Type MI cable per 501.10(A)(1)(b).

The proper Type MI termination fittings are more compact than any other cable type. The ?hard part? is making sure ?... to avoid tensile stress at the termination fittings.? Note "shear stress" is not a general issue. Also see commentary in 501.15 IN No.1 with regard to Type MI sealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.