Class 1 div 2 boundary seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I have a spare conduit that goes from class1div2 to unclassified. I have my boundary seal on the class1div2 side. Question is do I have to pour the seal even though it the conduit doesn’t terminate into anything in either side of boundary.

On classified side it will be seal (first fitting out of the ground) and right into a pull box and that’s where it will be spared at. And on the unclassified side it goes through 2 other pull boxes (all isolated to this specific conduit only), than back to the outside of a building and will be plugged off.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
See Section 501.15(B)(2) Ex No.2 or No.4. If either applies you don't need a seal at all. If neither applies, the seal still doesn't need to be explosionproof.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
See Section 501.15(B)(2) Ex No.2 or No.4. If either applies you don't need a seal at all. If neither applies, the seal still doesn't need to be explosionproof.

From what I am getting I believe it should be poured. Although the company’s electrician we are working for said we could leave the seal out and just put the union and pull box in and if they ever decided to use it they could put the seal in.

But idk how I feel about that, possible just stub conduit up and put a coupling and plug? On both classified and unclassified.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
If you believe you need a seal fitting fine - but look at the last sentence of Section 501.15(B)(2) main text - the Division 2/unclassified boundary seal isn't required to be explosionproof.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
If you believe you need a seal fitting fine - but look at the last sentence of Section 501.15(B)(2) main text - the Division 2/unclassified boundary seal isn't required to be explosionproof.
I read that, and see where it says it must be identified for the purpose of minimizing the passes of gasses. And doesn’t have to be explosion proof. I’ve personally never used a seal that wasn’t explosion proof. At least not yet

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I read that, and see where it says it must be identified for the purpose of minimizing the passes of gasses. And doesn’t have to be explosion proof. I’ve personally never used a seal that wasn’t explosion proof. At least not yet
As far as I know this is still a debate in CMP14. Polywater claims their product meets this requirement. Some have claimed Duct Seal does too. Notice though the requirement is to minimize, not prevent.

Status
Not open for further replies.