Class 1 div 2 boundary seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I’m in a situation where I went to a job that was already started and tasked with completing the small project.

I have a 2”conduit that stubs up into a class1 division 2 area. Full Pvc coated rigid. (Rob roy).
Problem is where the conduit stubs up it is a stub 90degree coming out of the ground with a nipple.

Problem with that is the coupling is above grade and obviously need the boundary seal off first. I can’t just take the nipple out and replace with a seal because it would be partially in the stone (frowned upon and looks bad).

So we was going to completely dig up and replace but it’s in a very bad area to get to dig up to be able to spin the stub off and replace with a longer one that emerges from grade with no coupling before the seal..

So after digging a while we discovered we could in a sense undermine the conduit and get it to go lower putting the coupling below the stone, and having the boundary seal the first fitting in the area.

I’ve gotten this approved by the company’s engineer, I was just curious as to if there was any other regulations on this. I have read over for boundary seals and have not seen anything regarding the conduit must be continuous for such length before emerging from grade and interning the seal. Just that the seal must be the first out of the ground with no couplings or fittings between the seal and grade.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is a threaded elbow that emerges above ground with a coupling?

If someone was able to get a coupling onto the end of the threaded elbow why can't you get a seal fitting onto it?

Might be one of those pictures worth a thousand words kind of things.

Last edited:

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”

If someone was able to get a coupling onto the end of the threaded elbow why can't you get a seal fitting onto it?

I’ve already got it fixed now or would show you lol. But the reason being is the coupling was half covered by grade so the seal would have been the first but it would be have covered by gravel.

I can draw a illustration at lunch.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
That is true, so my understanding is, as long as the coupling in beneath the top of gravel I am good.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”

Attachments

• F83671EA-76E0-4957-8ACA-B42EEA9FF80E.jpeg
    F83671EA-76E0-4957-8ACA-B42EEA9FF80E.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 14

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Also a conduit boundary seal still required between class 1 div1 and div2 area? I have a tank where the top of it is div1, and the bottom(base) is div2. I have a boundary seal for the div2 to non-class but I still feel one is needed in the 2”conduit that goes from div1 to div2.

Talked to engineer yesterday he said no.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Also a conduit boundary seal still required between class 1 div1 and div2 area? I have a tank where the top of it is div1, and the bottom(base) is div2. I have a boundary seal for the div2 to non-class but I still feel one is needed in the 2”conduit that goes from div1 to div2.

Talked to engineer yesterday he said no.
The boundary between Division 1 and Division 2 requires a seal. 501.15(A)(4).

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Is this illustration (poorly made) correct for the use of a class1 div1 boundary seal, on the inside of the div1 boundary. To me it seems that It is but I just can’t have any couplings or fittings after the seal until I’m out of the div1 boundary.

Attachments

• 8EB3F9A5-967A-4090-9BF4-84FE03F18875.jpeg
    8EB3F9A5-967A-4090-9BF4-84FE03F18875.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is this illustration (poorly made) correct for the use of a class1 div1 boundary seal, on the inside of the div1 boundary. To me it seems that It is but I just can’t have any couplings or fittings after the seal until I’m out of the div1 boundary.
That appears to be compliant. The boundary is the circle and there is no threaded fitting between the seal and the boundary.

Status
Not open for further replies.