CLass 1 Div 2 locations clarified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am looking at Garage, That services natural gas vehicles. The Class 1 division 2 area, As classified in the drawings. Show only a area of Beneath roof Decking down 18 inches. This is the Class 1 div 2 hazard zone.
Lighting is being installed at 24 to 30 inches down. This I presumed does not need any Hazard piping and fittings. ( Lights are not exp proof neither).
Is this the only area.. Natural gas is lighter?
Attached is Drawing cut.

Attachments

• Shop Rev0 Binder 9.pdf
    35.6 KB · Views: 14

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Meant to put this in the other forum. Can a Moderator relocate it to the Exp classification forum
Thank You

Also found

Attachments

• IMG_4386.jpg
    IMG_4386.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I am looking at Garage, That services natural gas vehicles. The Class 1 division 2 area, As classified in the drawings. Show only a area of Beneath roof Decking down 18 inches. This is the Class 1 div 2 hazard zone.
Lighting is being installed at 24 to 30 inches down. This I presumed does not need any Hazard piping and fittings. ( Lights are not exp proof neither).
Is this the only area.. Natural gas is lighter?
Attached is Drawing cut.
Questions:
  • Is natural gas the only fuel of concern?
  • Is the sensor factory sealed?

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Questions:
  • Is natural gas the only fuel of concern?
  • Is the sensor factory sealed?
I did not view unit as of yet. This is a Garage. I imagine. Standard fuel is also involved. This is currently how it is. The main fleet is getting Nat Gas makeover.
Natural gas is lighter. It looks like everything from Deck to 18 inches down.(This is reversed of Floor Class 1 Div 2 for fuel 18 inches up from floor)
I believe as long as I pipe in EMT below this 18in Classification. I should be fine.
The sensors are going to be 18 volts. Not sure if they are factory sealed. I imagine they are. I think I do have a link. I will look.
The sensors Pipe run since it is in the Area of Class 1 Div2 is the only item I need RMC. But we must demo anything else in this area and move below the 18 inch Class 1 div 2 boundary. Am I overlooking anything?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
... Am I overlooking anything?
From the Section you highlighted, it appears to be a Major Repair Garage; so. if regular fuels are also involved, I'd say you overlooked the rest of Section 511.3(C) and Section 511.7 as well. While we are at it, has Section 500.4(A) been satisfied?

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
From the Section you highlighted, it appears to be a Major Repair Garage; so. if regular fuels are also involved, I'd say you overlooked the rest of Section 511.3(C) and Section 511.7 as well. While we are at it, has Section 500.4(A) been satisfied?

As far as documentation. Which 500.4A states. I believe. Engineered drawings cover this.

Status
Not open for further replies.