Class 1 Division 1 dispute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ono Ozaki

Occupation
Electrical journeyman
We are running underground conduit in a classified methane area. When we leave a building underground , the conduit runs through a C1D1 zone. The run travels about 600' to the service entrance gear. There are 4 underground pull boxes and multiple couplings in the run. Am I required to place a seal off fitting at both ends of this run?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The Class I, Division 1 boundary sealing rules are in Section 501.15(A)(4). While it isn't impossible, such as for an Article 514 installation, it is exceptionally rare for a boundary to be underground, especially with lighter-than-air gases.

Section 500.4 requires the boundaries be properly documented.

Ono Ozaki

Occupation
Electrical journeyman
The Class I, Division 1 boundary sealing rules are in Section 501.15(A)(4). While it isn't impossible, such as for an Article 514 installation, it is exceptionally rare for a boundary to be underground, especially with lighter-than-air gases.

Section 500.4 requires the boundaries be properly documented.
The boundaries are clearly drawn out. The question is : both ends of the run are being viewed as exiting the C1D1 zone so an explosion proof fitting is being required when I exit the ground. (Obviously, first fitting after the 24" of rigid conduit changing from PVC.)

Status
Not open for further replies.