Class 1 Division 2 Terminations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gryder

My company does engineering for a major oil company and the 'Company' representative has stated that a 'certified' increased safety terminal block is required in a NEMA 4 X enclosure for termination of lighting conductors. His reasoning is that the 'not certified' terminal block might vibrate loose and cause a spark. He can't seem to find the rule in the code and I can find nothing to contradict him. I've never known of this requirement or utilized such a device. However, I'm 67 years old (in my days we used wire nuts) I guess changes could have been made to the code. Any help appreciated

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Your client has probably been influenced by a European background.

There is no such rule in Article 501. There WOULD be such a rule in Article 505 if it were a true implementation of the IEC rules for Zones - which it isn't - which is why it isn't in Article 505 either.

jscottelwood

terminations

terminations

I run into this a lot...the client is the one paying the bill so whatever they want, as long as it isn't a code violation, can be recommended. Remember, NFPA 70 (The NEC) is the minimum which is required. I have been given many fabrication and installation instructions which seem odd by our paying clients and as long as there is no code violation, I just tack in onto the bill (P, M and L) (sorry, Parts, Material and Labor).

Status
Not open for further replies.