class 1 division 2 wire nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

natfuelbill

Any experience with using wire nuts in non-xp enclosed gasketed wireways, conduit body (condulets), and fittings in class 1 division 2 hazardous locations? Is use of wire nuts a Code compliant practice? Code or UL references? Is a wire nut connection considered an arcing device?

natfuelbill

Here is a response from Crouse-Hinds factory.

"Wire nuts are allowed since they are not considered an arcing or sparking devices (such as a light switch, motor starter, or receptacle). Wire nuts is an accepted method for making connections, splices, etc. in the USA. I am not sure what part of the general NEC addresses this, but I am use it can be looked up if necessary.

For Class 1, Div. 1 & 2 locations, the NEC "assumes" that these methods of wiring are to be used (including wire nuts) and more specifically addresses the need for extra protection of wires with rigid conduit (or similar) and using conduit fittings approved for such areas. This information is covered in NEC 501.10(A) and (B).

Bob W.
Cust. Svce."

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Wow, I have never thought that a properly applied wirenut would spark or arc, much less be considered a "device".

natfuelbill

Wow, I have never thought that a properly applied wirenut would spark or arc, much less be considered a "device".

Jim - Did you by, chance, mis-read the C-H response? Or are you "wowing" that a wire nut could be called to question?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The basic rule for Division 2 is [2005] 501.10 (B)(4):

Boxes and Fittings Boxes and fittings shall not be required to be explosionproof except as required by 501.105(B)(1), 501.115(B)(1), and 501.150(B)(1).

Each of the ?exceptions? leads to devices that are arcing, sparking or heat-producing in ?normal? operation.

The 2 inch conduit rule actually only applies to sealing requirements in Division 1 ? not Division 2. [501.15(A)(2)]

BTW, a "wire-nut" is a device by definition.

Edit: Oh yeah, "wire-nuts" are fine in non-explosionproof enclosures.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Re: class 1 division 2 wire nuts

natfuelbill said:
Any experience with using wire nuts in non-xp enclosed gasketed wireways, conduit body (condulets), and fittings in class 1 division 2 hazardous locations? Is use of wire nuts a Code compliant practice?
No splices or wirenuts are allowed in some conduit bodies.
314.5 Short-Radius Conduit Bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.