Class 2, Div ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearman

Hi there - I'm a newbie to NEC code, so please forgive my ignorance:

I have been told by another engineer with much more experience than me that if I have a device that is denoted as Class 2, Div 1, then it is robust enough to be used in a Class 2, Div 2 environment.

This sounds correct, however, I'm a bit shaky about specifying a device which does not specifically state "Class 2, Division 2" on it.

Can anyone shed light on this? Does a Division 1 trump out Division 2 and 3 all the time (in both Class 1 and Class 2)?

Thanks

edamico11

bearman

bearman

Try this link for info

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/OA071

Scroll down to "Definitions of classes from osha standard 1910.399

IMO I would say no, why not just get the correct class device?

oops I am not correct 1910.307(d)

Section 1910.307(d) -- Equipment in Division 2 Locations

Equipment that has been approved for a Division 1 location may be installed in a Division 2 location of the same class and group. General-purpose equipment or equipment in general-purpose enclosures may be installed in Division 2 locations if the equipment does not constitute a source of ignition under normal operating conditions.

So if you do not violate this,,, yes IMO

Last edited:

RayS

basically, the div. 1 area is considered to operate normally with atmosphere in question, whereas the div. 2 area would only have the atmosphere under abnormal or breakdown conditions.

This means that if it's good enough for div.1, div 2 is a given.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The Marking rules are found in Section 500.8(B). Specifically, 500.8(B)(2) for Division marking.

bearman

Thanks for your help, guys.

As far as getting the equipment with the correct specification printed on it, I went back and forth with a supplier over this one - as the quotations he sent only mentioned "Class 2, Div 1". Finally, he was able to get an independant certification of the device which specifically spelled out "Class 2, Div 2" - however when we recieved the device, "Class 2, Div 1" was stamped on it.

More confusion came about from the fact that the "protection" specification of the device referenced an explanation in the independant certification - but not in the documentation of the device. Thus, I was left with a device that specifically stated "Class 2, Div 1" - and had to furnish paperwork from a 3rd party to indicate "Class 2, Div 2" usefulness. This 3rd party certification was furnished by the representative of the original equipment.

Thus - I'm not sure exactly why the device could NOT be stamped with all of the protections that it is capable of - yet, I had documentation that it DID pass these. So - I assumed that passing "Div 1" may automatically mean that "Div 2" also passes.

This was confirmed by a couple of other engineers I've spoken with as well as here - thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.