class 2 power limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.

timaud

I need to consider providing a low voltage (120/24 VAC) transformer with a 175VA to 300VA rating and fused outputs (8 total outputs). The output current is 3.5A per output. Since I am a temperature controls contractor, I am considering using 14AWG. plenum rated Class 2 twisted shielded wiring to power my field panels to be located above the ceiling. Can I do this?

kiloamp7

Re: class 2 power limitations

Are you really going to be able to find a real Class 2 XFMR with a capacity over 100VA ?

timaud

According to the cutsheets of the 24VAC 8-output power supply, the outputs are PTC Protected Outputs (Class 2 power limited). But I admit, I do not know what the significance of "power limited". Also, just because it is over 100VA, so what? I would imagine each output is limited to a certain current level.
Can you shed some light on power limited vs. VA?
Thank you.
Tim

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

A number of code cycles ago the code specified the maximum voltage and power permitted for a Class 2 power supply. At that time the maximum permitted power was 100va for a Class 2 power supply. Now the code just requires that the power supply be listed as a Class 2 power supply. If it is listed as such, then rules in Part III of Article 725 apply, if it is not listed as a Class 2 Power supply, then the rules in Part II apply.
Don

johnj

Functional Devices, Inc. makes an enclosed 500VA power supply with five 100VA class II outputs. Model number PSH500A. Each output has a switch/circuit breaker rated for 4 amps. This and #14 TP jacketed wire can be used in a ceiling. If the ceiling is a plenum, make sure the wire is rated as such. Try: www.funtionaldevices.com

kiloamp7

Yes earlier NEC's had tables of power limitations right there in Art.725.
2002 NEC has in Tables 11(A) & 11(B) in Chapter 9.

It would be interesting to know if the #PSH500A is actually an xfmr with multiple windings rated 100VA each. As I have said before, Art.725 is one article that I am not real comfortable with. But I had to throw in my 2-cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.