class 2 power limited circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
How about Honeywell CL-2 wiring run in the wall for LV cabinet lights?

The wiring would depend on the power supply. If it is indeed a CL2 supply then the wiring is covered by Art 725 and does not have to be in conduit. Note that you have to use a wire that is listed on the jacket as CL2 or CL3, not zip cord or landscape lighting cable.

-Hal

dnem

I don't know the specifics and neither does the contractor so this is what I did.

I started at 411.4(A)
then 725.52
then 725.41
then Chapter9 Table11(A) & (B) page 638

I left this writeup on the job

CL2 ran inside the wall cavity to supply LV lighting [411.4(A)] can be run in a conduit raceway [411.4(A)(1)] or follow the requirements of 725.52 [411.4(A)(2)]

The "listed Class 2 power source" of 411.4(A)(2) must comply with Table11(A) & (B) of chapter 9 on page 638. Note the amperage limitation of the power supply. Power supply will be inspected on final.

Any comments ?

David

hbiss

Occupation
EC
The "listed Class 2 power source" of 411.4(A)(2) must comply with Table11(A) & (B) of chapter 9 on page 638. Note the amperage limitation of the power supply. Power supply will be inspected on final.

First, I assume you have adopted the 2005 NEC. Second I assume you have the test equipment to perform the required testing to see that the power supply conforms to Table 11.

Better idea: Just look to see that the power supply label says "CL2 wiring may be used" or just CL2. If it does not the wiring must be a class 1 method.

-Hal

dnem

hbiss said:

First, I assume you have adopted the 2005 NEC. Second I assume you have the test equipment to perform the required testing to see that the power supply conforms to Table 11.

Better idea: Just look to see that the power supply label says "CL2 wiring may be used" or just CL2. If it does not the wiring must be a class 1 method.

-Hal

"I assume you have the test equipment to perform the required testing to see that the power supply conforms to Table 11"
Isn't the amperage or wattage output marked on the power module ?

David

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Read those tables. There is a lot more to it than current or wattage. Is it an inherently or non-inherently current limited source for instance.

That table used to be part of 725 and now it's been moved to the back of the book. Hopefully in the '08 edition it will be gone. It really has no purpose except for manufacturers as an overview in designing their power sources. The testing can be complex and now is usually left up to UL or other testing laboratory to provide a listing of CL1, CL3 or CL2. All power sources (with the exception of discrete batteries) are required to indicate on their label whether they are CL1, 3 or 2. Understand also that you may be talking about a simple transformer here but any source of power such as a battery, a regulated DC supply and even an audio amplifier that connects to speakers must be tested for compliance and listed.

As I said, all anybody has to do is just look at the listing on the label. That's what it's there for.

-Hal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.