Class 2 VS Class II

Status
Not open for further replies.
class II instead of class 2

class II instead of class 2

I have to find a plug in 110vac to 12vdc power supply to power a credit card reader in a outdoor sign and a 110vac to 9vdc power supply to power a transmiter, like in a fast food drive up stall. It will be in the sign so it can be a damp location power supply. It has to be class 2 and UL listed. A salesman said we might need a class II instead of class 2. I didn't know there was a differance.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
NOT USUALLY THE SAME THING.

Class I and II usually refer to medial power supplies, meaning that the INPUT voltage supply must be grounded (Class I) or stable and isolated without a ground (Class II). For instance, most portable devices, because of the unreliability of a good ground connection in the field, must have Class II power supplies. Class II power supplies are usually more expensive and larger because of the extra circuitry required for isolation without a ground connection.

Class 2 has to do with the NEC and UL 1314 (?) for limited energy circuits, meaning that it cannot put out more than 100VA. So in your cases, the 12V unit can't be any larger than 8.3A, the 9V cannot be any larger than 11A output.

http://www.solaheviduty.com/support/Pdfs/NECCLASS2DCPSTechNote.pdf

You really do not have to go too far into the NEC.

Table of Contents, page 5.
Hazardous locations I, II, III.
Table of Contents, page 8.
Class 1, 2, 3 - Remote Control, Signaling, and Power-Limited Circuits.

Can it be mixed up? It is all of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.