Class 2 wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Rebecca, welcome to the forum! :)

I'll jump in: No, at least under normal conditions anyway.

nhfire77

I'm sans my NEC, but its in article 725, and it says no. I personally would use one in 99% of all situations.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Seems we get this question every few months. Answer is no. Just in case, does Class 3 wiring splices require junction boxes? Answer is negative also. Does Class 1 wiring splices require junction boxes? YES because you must use Chapter 3 wiring methods.

-Hal

stevenj76

I think it would be wiser to check your specs on the job.

I have installed VAV controllers free-air, all the terminations exposed to return plenum air, but it is a just plain bad idea IMO, and often specs will forbid it.

There is a profitible way to do Class 2 work, and keep the install clean and functional. What that way is, I'm not telling.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think it would be wiser to check your specs on the job.

I have installed VAV controllers free-air, all the terminations exposed to return plenum air, but it is a just plain bad idea IMO, and often specs will forbid it.

There is a profitible way to do Class 2 work, and keep the install clean and functional. What that way is, I'm not telling.

I believe the OP was asking if the NEC requires splices in CL2 wiring to be in boxes. That's how I replied. Anything else would be a workmanship or design issue and is entirely up to the installer or the person who wrote the specs for the work.

-Hal

jumper

90.3 says chapters 1-4 apply to 725 unless amended.

725.3 seems to get me out of 300.15 for boxes, for situations in general.

725.3(C) and (D) probably require boxes.

760.53(A)(1) and 760.130(B)(1) say boxes needed for FA.

Okay, how bad did I do?

stevenj76

Is a jbox required?

Answer: There are multiple CSI Divisions with Class 2 wiring, look up the spec for the system you are installing, and see if cans and boxes are required.

A free-air splice is legal, sometimes frowned upon, sometimes not. The person with the money is making the call on this one.

End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.