Class C Hard Hats

SafetyDir

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We are currently wearing Class E hard hats and I'm considering moving to Class C hard hats for the benefit of the ventilation.

I reached out to our NFPA 70E consultant for his opinion and all he replied with was "Class E is required by NFPA 70E. Class C is conductive."

This I already know. However, we do not work on anything over 600V and we do not work on anything energized without the proper shock/arc flash protection. Our suits all have Class E hard hats. The Class C would be for when we are performing installation on de-energized systems.

I'm looking for opinions on whether or not Class C is a good idea for an electrical contractor, and if not, why?

SafetyDir

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why are Class C's conductive?
They most likely are not since are made of plastic. However, it is more about the rating. The "C" rating stands for conductive so my assumption is they are not tested at the factory like the Class E. Other than that, I do not know.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
We are currently wearing Class E hard hats and I'm considering moving to Class C hard hats for the benefit of the ventilation.

I reached out to our NFPA 70E consultant for his opinion and all he replied with was "Class E is required by NFPA 70E. Class C is conductive."

This I already know. However, we do not work on anything over 600V and we do not work on anything energized without the proper shock/arc flash protection. Our suits all have Class E hard hats. The Class C would be for when we are performing installation on de-energized systems.

I'm looking for opinions on whether or not Class C is a good idea for an electrical contractor, and if not, why
If the equipment is considered deenergized per NFPA 70E procedures and practices, why would PPE and tools need to be insulated? Does your safety director require fall protection even when you are standing on the floor?

SafetyDir

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the equipment is considered deenergized per NFPA 70E procedures and practices, why would PPE and tools need to be insulated? Does your safety director require fall protection even when you are standing on the floor?
🤣
I'm the safety director currently. Still new to the safety world so evaluating everything we have been doing up to this moment. That is why I'm questioning the need to wear Class E. I was thrown off by the NFPA 70E instructors reply. I explained to him the work would not be on anything energized.
The only difference I can see between the Class C and E hard hats is the venting. That venting would be nice for the electricians working in 116 deg heat with no breeze.
I did come up with a possible scenario in my head when a Class E might be needed. Going up on a lift to tie in power to a sign that is 20' - 30' or so away from a power line. I do not know how far away we need to be from that. Rarely do we do this type of work but it has happened and could again.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
🤣
I'm the safety director currently. Still new to the safety world so evaluating everything we have been doing up to this moment. That is why I'm questioning the need to wear Class E. I was thrown off by the NFPA 70E instructors reply. I explained to him the work would not be on anything energized.
The only difference I can see between the Class C and E hard hats is the venting. That venting would be nice for the electricians working in 116 deg heat with no breeze.
I did come up with a possible scenario in my head when a Class E might be needed. Going up on a lift to tie in power to a sign that is 20' - 30' or so away from a power line. I do not know how far away we need to be from that. Rarely do we do this type of work but it has happened and could again.
Sorry about the jab at your profession. Maybe I am jaded by the number that don't get involved with implementing a true Electrically Safe Work Practices program.

What you have learned is that most NFPA 70E instructors do not know safety processes nor risk analysis. They only know what they were taught in instructor school, and to not interpret the material they are presenting.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
You ever go to get a harness, and the only teather you can find id one some idiot destroyed by using it for a lifting sling?

SafetyDir

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry about the jab at your profession. Maybe I am jaded by the number that don't get involved with implementing a true Electrically Safe Work Practices program.

What you have learned is that most NFPA 70E instructors do not know safety processes nor risk analysis. They only know what they were taught in instructor school, and to not interpret the material they are presenting.
No worries. I'm an electrician first and also a PM. My mindset is to approach safety using guidelines but also from a common sense perspective.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
No worries. I'm an electrician first and also a PM. My mindset is to approach safety using guidelines but also from a common sense perspective.
A lot of places I have gone say we don't need an electrical safe work practices program, we follow NFPA70E as written, we don't interpret.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I wear a Klein class C; the only difference between their E and C hats that I can tell is the venting. I have a class E, but only put it on when I actually need to use PPE in a live panel, which is rare. We’re not doing any maintenance work that requires us to work hot though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Maybe they should for some of us.
I need it. I’ve fallen twice in two months. One was a trip hazard that I didn’t see because I was blinded by rage at that moment (never a good thing), the other was my ankle rolling out from under me in loose gravel.

I don’t recover as fast as I used to…

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Class E is only required if there is possible exposure to live conductors carrying over 2,200V (and up to 20kV) line to ground.

Class G (General purpose), which are most standard hard hats, are good up to and including 2,200V. My company issues is all Class G hard hats, we are not allowed to be around higher voltages without prior approval, which would entail an entire PPE review process.

Class C are the only ones that can be vented, but are not rated for electrical work at all. So technically if you are doing work where there are NO live electrical conductors anywhere, the Class C would be OK.

But if you are doing any kind of work that might require following NFPA 70E, or anything where OSHA would expect there to be a “Safe Electrical Work Program” to be followed, then by definition it must involve electrical exposure risks and a Class C would not be appropriate. That then sets up the situation where every electrician has two different hard hats and must know in advance whether there are live conductors where they are going? Seems impractical to me.

Last edited: