Class Div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimatwork

In a class 1 Div 1 location I have installed hazardous location pushbuttons and enclosures.The two gang enclosure Allen Bradley enclosure 800H-2HVX7 has a factory installed nipple to join enclosures together looks like 1 1/4" but fine threads. The AHJ says I have to install a seal off between enclosures as per article 501.15 (A) (1) is this correct? How about 501.15 (A) (3)? I have the correct seal offs entering boundaries just not between enclosures.Been looking for
literature on AB web site but can't find any info

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see 501.15(A)(3) as saying you don't need a seal between the enclosures. I see it as saying you can use one seal if the raceway is 36" or less in length. The general rule requires a seal for each enclosure.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Is this assembly listed as a whole?

I can't imagine AB would ship you an assembly nippled together that has to be taken apart.

You might want to take a look at exception (1) or (3) to 501.15(A)(1)(1).

jimatwork

That is a good point. If so listed, it is a single enclosure and a seal between the two parts would not be required.

AB listed as class1 div1 looking for AB literature.If seal is required you would think it would have come with seal between enclosures to comply with class1 div1

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You have correctly identified the enclosure as 800H-2HVX7. What you haven't identified is the operators. I suspect they are factory sealed or explosionproof themselves. Unless the raceway entries between the enclosures are 2 inches or larger, there is no seal required.

jimatwork

Thanks Robert
I have the correct explosion proof operators and AB covers.I failed because of the factory installed 1 1/4" nipple between enclosures

jimatwork

The exceptions was the first place I looked with AHJ. I need information on AB 800H-2HVX7 it doesn't look like standard threads on the close nipple between enclosures so how can I add seal

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The exceptions was the first place I looked with AHJ. I need information on AB 800H-2HVX7 it doesn't look like standard threads on the close nipple between enclosures so how can I add seal

Look very carefully at what the exceptions actually say.

Exception to 501.15(A)(1)(1): Seals shall not be required
for conduit entering an enclosure where such switches, circuit
breakers, fuses, relays, or resistors comply with one of
the following:
(1) Are enclosed within a chamber hermetically sealed
against the entrance of gases or vapors

Take a close look at the contact blocks. They may already be sealed contact blocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.