Class I Div 2 B, C, D and use of what drains...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I tired searching this before posting.

What type of drains are required, according to NEC rule, in a Class I Div II BCD conduit run as breathers/drains?

All I have found is the term 'approved'? What exactly is 'approved'?

We have been using breather/drains that are rated Class I Div II BCD but I am now wondering if we are essentially wasting money as they are merely vents/drains in conduit and NOT in an explosion proof box.

Again, these arent going in to explosion proof boxes, merely the very bottom of conduit runs. Could we be using general purpose drains at that point because it is Division 2 and NOT Division 1?

Thanks for any insight.

Approval

Approval

110.2 is shown as approval and list multiple, more to your question only about drainage found at the index list applicable chapter locations by article except you must see raceways which I read as your main course as discovery.

I'm not certain water obeys the Code it always does whatever it wants too it is remarkably similar to wire in those respects all we can do is not waste it.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Hello all. I tired searching this before posting.

What type of drains are required, according to NEC rule, in a Class I Div II BCD conduit run as breathers/drains?

All I have found is the term 'approved'? What exactly is 'approved'?

We have been using breather/drains that are rated Class I Div II BCD but I am now wondering if we are essentially wasting money as they are merely vents/drains in conduit and NOT in an explosion proof box.

Again, these arent going in to explosion proof boxes, merely the very bottom of conduit runs. Could we be using general purpose drains at that point because it is Division 2 and NOT Division 1?

Thanks for any insight.
As I understand it, your basic question is, "Could we be using general purpose drains at that point because it is Division 2 and NOT Division 1?"

As nec_addicted pointed out, approved is a defined term in Section 100.2. So is fitting.

I would point you Section 501.10(B)(4). You might want to compare it with Section 501.10(A)(3), the corresponding Division 1 requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.