Class I Div 2 Boundary Seal

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhee2

A factory sealed light fixture is mounted on the exterior of a building. The building interior is Div 2. Exterior is non-classified. The conduit supplying the fixture originates in the Div 2 area inside the building, goes through the exterior wall and directly to the fixture. Total distance is a few feet.

- Even though the light is 'factory sealed' (and listed for Div 2), I believe NEC would still require a boundary seal - correct? I don't see a separate seal providing any practical benefit.
- The conduit within the building originates from a cable tray drop. I don't think this changes anything but maybe.

AKElectrician

A factory sealed light fixture is mounted on the exterior of a building. The building interior is Div 2. Exterior is non-classified. The conduit supplying the fixture originates in the Div 2 area inside the building, goes through the exterior wall and directly to the fixture. Total distance is a few feet.

- Even though the light is 'factory sealed' (and listed for Div 2), I believe NEC would still require a boundary seal - correct? I don't see a separate seal providing any practical benefit.
- The conduit within the building originates from a cable tray drop. I don't think this changes anything but maybe.

Correct, if in fact there is a change. Look carefully some building prints have a bubble surrounding the building a few feet outside the walls.
I would also make sure the cable is one that does not transmit gas, it has the same rules behind it. But may be used to seal a stripped cable and its individual conductors in the conduit seal.

First I would ensure its not class1 div2.

Status
Not open for further replies.