class I divition 1 led lights wiring and wire glands

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am going to start searching about hazardous location lights-and my focus is on led lights-
i have a typical 70w led lights and wanna to make it explosion proof-so i have a question about its wires and wire glands series.
tank you

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you will need to be more specific in your question.

I don't know what if any electrical codes are followed in Iran.

In general though, at least in the US, the lamp itself is not the critical element in an XP lighting system. The light fixture itself is explosion proof and you can put whatever lamps in it that UL lists it to use. I don't know if UL lists any fixtures for use with LED bulbs.

It is doubtful that this would apply though in Iran.

tanx

tanx

tanx for your answer.

my question is about fixtures. for example about how can i take terminals exp. proof or aobut used wire type(MC-HL??) cable gland model.

and i wanna ask about sealing material.

in iran standard in based on NEC and myfocus is on class I ,divition 1 hzardous locations.
it can be best for me if you have a file or pdf or patent that can help me

jusme123

Occupation
JW
....are you asking for the materials we use in the USA for an explosion proof lighting fixture?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Unlike IEC Zone 1, terminals themselves cannot be made suitable for NEC Class I, Division 1 or Zone 1; they must be in a suitable enclosure. In this case, the luminares (fixtures) must be "identified" - typically listed explosionproof. Assuming you have the NEC available, see Section 501.130(A).

Also assuming you have the NEC available, see Section 501.10(A) for acceptable wiring methods. With proper cable terminators, Type MC-HL is acceptable.

Any and all appropriate wiring methods must use explosionproof seals at the enclosure terminals. See Section 501.15. Read it all; especially Subsections (A), (C) and (D).

NOTE: To those that want to get picky - first find an appropriate 70W lighting system that is Intrinsically Safe or nonincendive before you try to alter this. of course, nonincendive doesn't apply to Class I, Division 1 anyway​

Status
Not open for further replies.