Classification of sewer lift station

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Re: Classification of sewer lift station

I guess you could consider this a hazardous location due to the gases that are present. By NEC, if the gases and vapors that are present are flammable, then the classification would be Class 1 and most likely Division 2 location.

Len_B

http://www.drilleronline.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,3643,89912,00.html
http://www.electrician.com/articles/sewage.htm

Mike,
I have usually seen these pumps installed with large hose for the sewage connection and "hard use rubber cord" (we used supertrex) for the motor and float connections. Sometimes the larger ones are set up on a cable with a capstan to wind them up out of the sump. Guide rails are used on very large ones. I have seen twistlock connectors on both the pump and floats (up high near the J box)for ease of servicing but I don't honestly know if these installations were code compliant.

Len

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Class 1 Division I. You can refer to NFPA 820 for more information. I had orginally put Class 1 Div 2. The seal can be put where the conduit exits from the ground, or in the wetwell. Obviously above ground is better!

[ March 07, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: tom baker ]

harold endean

Mike,

The only way to know for sure is to look it up in the NFPA under section 820. That section of the code is about "The Standard for Fire Protection in Wastewater Treatment and Collection Facilities." I had to look up lift station for residential use and the NFPA listed it as "Unclassified". I also was working in a large public waste station, and it was classified Class 1 Div. 1. However it could have been claasified Class 1 Div. 2, IF the put in fans so that there were 12 air changes per hour. If you don't have access to a NFPA book, you might try their web site. Or maybe I could find it. It also will depend on which NFPA your state has adopted. Here in NJ we are under the '96 NFPA. I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.