Cleaning corroded panelboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think you should inspect them closely and then make a wise decision. If they were full of water they're probably junk. A little incidental water probably isn't going to matter.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Interesting (not really) how insurance didn't want to have to pay to replace equipment, yet will likely balk at paying later on when it fails and causes damages:(
An insurance adjuster once told me that for that industry, every month the balance sheet starts anew, meaning if a cost cutting action today causes a problem tomorrow, that's tomorrow's problem.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Another consideration on these panelboards if very wet or submerged while the bus might be acceptable if these are main breaker or have breakers inside those would never pass with moisture damage and need replacement. Very Mild corrosion on an AL bus is almost normal and expected, and seen many new (nearly all) without any know exposure or damages that have a light powder coat of white corrosion and that the simple act of installing the breaker removes the film (shines up bus) .

kwired

Electron manager
An insurance adjuster once told me that for that industry, every month the balance sheet starts anew, meaning if a cost cutting action today causes a problem tomorrow, that's tomorrow's problem.
But lets pass the problem to those paying for the policy and refuse to pay claims anytime we can find something to deny it. Especially in a bigger disaster situatiuon, let FEMA pay for things we should be obligated to by our own policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.