Cleanrooms - Wet Locations??

I am working on a project in a pharmaceutical cleanroom. These cleanrooms are periodically mopped down. I am being told that these areas should be classified as "Wet Locations" as defined by the NEC. I am saying that "Damp Locations" is sufficient. The distinction is big because if it's a wet location then for every outlet in the cleanroom we need a large bubble, in-use cover. This is because per 406.9(B), wet location receptacles must remain covered even when the plug is in. Some of our plugs are basically adapters and the cover will not be able to be closed with the adapter plugged in.

1725897156736.png

Has anyone ever worked in cleanroom environment designated as Wet Location? I feel like this is an incorrect classification.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here are the two Article 100 definitions in question. A mop doesn't sound like a saturation device like a hose would be. My kitchen and bathrooms gets mopped frequently and I don't have a wet location covers on my receptacles and switches.

Location, Dry. A location not normally subject to dampness or wetness. A location classified as dry may be temporarily subject to dampness or wetness, as in the case of a building under construction. (CMP-1)
Location, Wet. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.

garbo

Just a recommendation: I worked at a large slaughter house then a big candy plant that both had nightly hose down with pressure washers. Appears nobody makes a dependable flip cover for duplex receptacles that only use the center screw on receptacle to secure flimsy cover. If money was no object and during wash down nothing was plugged in we always used a Hubbell marine grade FD box along with a Hubbell yellow fiberglass cover. I stay away from using cheap flimsy what some call gem boxes in any damp or outdoor locations. I installed two quality Killark FS boxes along with a quality cover that used four screws to secure cover along with a quality gasket over 45years ago on outside of my house. Every few years they stay covered with snow for a week or more and every five years or so I remove covers & marine grade rules receptacle and no it's or water. Use never seize compound on the receptacles & 4 cover screws. Bubble covers work great but had several broke off while something was moved & crashed into them.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am working on a project in a pharmaceutical cleanroom. These cleanrooms are periodically mopped down. I am being told that these areas should be classified as "Wet Locations" as defined by the NEC. I am saying that "Damp Locations" is sufficient. The distinction is big because if it's a wet location then for every outlet in the cleanroom we need a large bubble, in-use cover. This is because per 406.9(B), wet location receptacles must remain covered even when the plug is in. Some of our plugs are basically adapters and the cover will not be able to be closed with the adapter plugged in.

View attachment 2573357

Has anyone ever worked in cleanroom environment designated as Wet Location? I feel like this is an incorrect classification.
I've worked in a lot of clean rooms in hospitals and they were never considered wet locations.

Here are the two Article 100 definitions in question. A mop doesn't sound like a saturation device like a hose would be. My kitchen and bathrooms gets mopped frequently and I don't have a wet location covers on my receptacles and switches.

I didn't fully explain. They are not just mopping the floors. They are mopping walls as well. We will have a weatherproof cover on the outlets but not ones with large in-use covers.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What type of facility is this?
Is this a room where they prepare drugs for patients?
Yes, we know it's a pharmaceutical room.