Clearance from power lines for banner support cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector 102

Our city has street lighting cable running parallel with the street and they want to run banner cables perpendicular across the street. The cable is tri-plex supported on concrete poles. I am trying to find clearance requirements for this type of set-up. Art. 225.15 addresses on the same pole, but I am looking for clearance requirements where they cross each other. Any help finding the requirement would be appreciated.

Hendrix

Our city has street lighting cable running parallel with the street and they want to run banner cables perpendicular across the street. The cable is tri-plex supported on concrete poles. I am trying to find clearance requirements for this type of set-up. Art. 225.15 addresses on the same pole, but I am looking for clearance requirements where they cross each other. Any help finding the requirement would be appreciated.
Sounds like the cable would be a good support for the banners :D:D:D

e57

Might be a good idea to talk to your utility. As from the comfort of this chair - I can not see what else is on the pole or any other condition.

Some other factors:
  • High voltage present
  • Wind loading on the poles from the banner in conflict with guys....
  • Other utilities....

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This is where the NEC falls a bit short. The NESC does a better job on this type of application.
But is the tri-plex utility grade, which is not listed, or is a listed triplex?
And who is going to install the banners? Close approach distance is ten feet for non qualifed persons.

inspector 102

The utility company has indicated the city can place the cables to support the banner within 30" of their overhear span. The city owns the tri-plex below the utility lines, however the lines were installed by the utility. The cables will be perpendicular to the overhead power lines and I am looking for some reference to clearance and not having any luck. I have been to NESC states 30". No, the banner will not be supportted by the electrical cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.