Clearance in front of an industrial control panel

reyamkram

I would like to know what you think about the attached pictures, as for me I believe someone troubleshooting on the control cabinet can trip, and cause an arch flash,
or get electrocuted, It that is what I told my supervisor, he does not think so,

Attachments

• WC-21 control cabined front.jpg
    WC-21 control cabined front.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 41

reyamkram

I did move it in back of the panel, now management is on for saying it can cause an arch flash or someone can get electrocuted if they trip into tha panel.
what do you think about that?

Attachments

• WC21 comtrol cabinet.jpg
    WC21 comtrol cabinet.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 24

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I think someone's "upset" that you cleaned up a bad spot-- and may make other spots look equally bad!
Are there any rules about 'clean and workmanlike' that could apply here?
How did you move the cables? Did they have to be unplugged/reconnected to make the move?

reyamkram

NO, it was not that hard and it did not take a long time, we have an over head crane, with 2 host, with one host I strapped the control,
and the other host I strapped the cables, picked up and put it behind the cabinet used 2) 3 inch mines and unistrut, to hold behind
cabinet,,

Thank you for your replay.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think someone could move that stuff before working on the control panel.
FIFY

Fir the OP:
Cables laying on the ground like that are a trip hazard and an OSHA violation whether or not someone is working in that control panel or even just walking by. Nobody should be upset that you increased the safety of a work environment.

Were you correct about the added risk of being an electrical hazard for anyone working there? Absolutely, but technically, it would not increase the likelihood of there being an arc flash, which is not about someone falling into a panel. Arc flash hazards are about exposure and the amount of energy present in a system. Once the door is open, the calculated arc flash hazard exists, whether you fall in or not. The cables increased that falling risk for sure, but did not change the actual arc flash risk.

Side note:
It’s arc flash, as in an electric arc.

“Arch” is an architectural feature (in the shape of an arc) that evenly distributes weight to two sides of an opening.

Sean Oliver

New User
Occupation
Account Manager
NEC Section 110.26 (A) requires a clear space at least 30 inches wide and 36 inches deep if the equipment is likely to be worked on while energized. That includes the floor.