Clearance Issue

Wizard

Trying to figure the clearance requirements for a chiller.

We need to wire in a chiller but when we got to the site the chiller was already set. There is only 24 inches for the electrical panel door to the wall. Also, the door will not fully open, it only opens at about 69 degrees.

I told the customer the chiller needs to be moved to get 36 inches of clearance.

Does the section 110 code apply to panels mounted on equipment such as chillers?

Was I correct in telling them that o cannot do the electrical work until the chiller is moved.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Trying to figure the clearance requirements for a chiller.

We need to wire in a chiller but when we got to the site the chiller was already set. There is only 24 inches for the electrical panel door to the wall. Also, the door will not fully open, it only opens at about 69 degrees.

I told the customer the chiller needs to be moved to get 36 inches of clearance.

Does the section 110 code apply to panels mounted on equipment such as chillers?

Was I correct in telling them that o cannot do the electrical work until the chiller is moved.
You were correct to say move it.
All equipment doors must be able to open at least 90 degrees. 36 inches is for 120/240.
Is this chiller that voltage?
Cause 480 gets another 6 inches

Wizard

You are correct.
I'll bet that went over well.
Was the piping complete?
Yes, when I got there the piping was already complete. They were putting pressure on me to connect power but I just couldn’t with that door not opening.

Is there ever a situation when you can get around having 36 inches of clearance. I couldn’t find any exceptions in the code.

Also, I lost a friend servicing a chiller. He was electrocuted while servicing the chiller.

Other trades on the job thought I just didn’t want to do the job.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Yes, when I got there the piping was already complete. They were putting pressure on me to connect power but I just couldn’t with that door not opening.

Is there ever a situation when you can get around having 36 inches of clearance. I couldn’t find any exceptions in the code.

Also, I lost a friend servicing a chiller. He was electrocuted while servicing the chiller.

Other trades on the job thought I just didn’t want to do the job.
Tell the other trades the NEC and your ethics will not allow you to knowingly violate the code.
You and your company will be held liable in the event of a death or accident.
They need to stick to their own codes. You stick to yours!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You were correct to say move it.
Meh... they can move the wall!
If it's a large chiller that is already plumbed in, that actually might be less expensive. I had a situation wherein a customer replaced a 400HP 480V across-the-line starter with a 4160V 600HP soft starter, where not only was the MV starter cabinet deeper, but the opposite wall was concrete, which is considered "conductive", so it needed 4ft of clearance. Moving the MV starter was a non-starter, so we had them move the concrete wall (it was non-load bearing).

Wizard

How about moving the panel?
Thats a good idea. Never thought about that. I wonder if it will be feasible? I wonder if it can be done?

It’s a big panel with double doors 36x72 and it houses the main lugs and a bunch of contractors. The last panel is the controls. I could leave that in place.

I could move the big panel and put a small junction box on the chiller?

I don’t know. Just thinking of a solution.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Who assumes the warranty of anything after that move.
Thats a good idea. Never thought about that. I wonder if it will be feasible? I wonder if it can be done?

It’s a big panel with double doors 36x72 and it houses the main lugs and a bunch of contractors. The last panel is the controls. I could leave that in place.

I could move the big panel and put a small junction box on the chiller?

I don’t know. Just thinking of a solution.