clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

eager2learn

Re: clearance

so does that mean that i can have an existing gas line in parallel with a power run inside pvc tubing of the same trench as long as i am 18" below grade. there isn't any violation due to maybe having an explosion or something of that nature. i mean isn't that dangerous ? :confused:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

If both of these lines are customer owned there is no minimum clearance between them. If either or both of these lines are owned by a utility you need to check with them.

eager2learn

the job is located at a elementary school in ca.
the reason why i ask is because i need to intercept a power run in a trench that also has a gas line running under at about 2'. if i have to i'll move my trench over which means more money to do so :mad:

charlie

There are many random lay installations with gas and electric installed where there is no intentional separation. This was not an NESC violation until the last cycle and they are now required to have one foot of separation. I am saying this from memory so I could easily be wrong on this point of requiring separation now. :D

cpal

I believe NFPA 54 Fuel and Gas Code will mention a 24" seperation from electrical equipment, But the NEC is silent on this matter. The Gas Code is in work but maybe someone else has a copy available

Charlie

ryan_618

Most states don't recognize the NFPA 54 for these installations. I think a probable code would be the International Fuel Gas Code, or the International Mechanical Code, or the Uniform Mechanical Code...all of which are silent on this issue.

Underground gas piping is required to have a yellow tracer wire located above the piping, so hopefully someone will see the tracer before nailing both the underground piping and the raceway.

This couldn't be considered a hazardous location, becasue flame cannot propogate under the earth, where there is not enough oxygen to sustain combustion and or flame.

eager2learn

the gas pipeline is cast iron. i think that the school has been there for over 30 years, any ways i didn't see any tracer wire anywhere. so could i potentially place the raceway (pvc tubing) about 2' apart in the same trench and bury it then call it good. i really like the info. because now i know what to tell the inspector when he comes out. i think that he will have the final say on this matter but i just wanted some info. to try to save money.

physis

By Ryan:

This couldn't be considered a hazardous location, becasue flame cannot propogate under the earth, where there is not enough oxygen to sustain combustion and or flame.
That's interesting. I never thought about it.

I'm not sure if I have it right but I think plumbers use the Uniform Building Code here.

ryan_618

Originally posted by physis:
That's interesting. I never thought about it.
[/QB]
You'll notice in Articles 511 and 514 of the 2005 that they addressed this.
That is not to say that seals have been eliminated (from gas stations) however. It is simply clarifying that this area is not classified.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Ryan, I have never seen the tracer wire placed above gas piping. In my area the inspectors always require the tracer wire to be attached to the piping. The wire is for connecting underground tracers not to serve as a warning during trenching.

ryan_618

Originally posted by curt swartz:
Ryan, I have never seen the tracer wire placed above gas piping. In my area the inspectors always require the tracer wire to be attached to the piping. The wire is for connecting underground tracers not to serve as a warning during trenching.
You might be right on that Curt. I looked in the IRC, and it states that it must be adjacent to the pipe.

I thought it was for indication purposes.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Around here they have a yellow pipe (I'm not sure of it's construction), with a tracer wire wrapped around it in a spiral pattern. It's used by the locators before trenching.

I don't see any danger from combining them in a trench. If, God forbid, you hit one trenching, hopefully you'd notice (either a big arc, or a sudden ear-piercing stinky geiser) and stop before you hit the other. :D

eager2learn

THIS SCOOL HAS A LOT OF WORK THAT NEEDS TO BE DINE AS FAR AS UNDERGROUND - THE CAST IRON PIPE IS ALSO ATTACHED TO A GREEN PLASTIC P.V.C LINE. THEY ALSO HAVE IRRIGATION PIPE THAT IS GREY INSTEAD OF WHITE. IT'S WEIRD OUT HERE BUT I'LL JUST TAKE IT AS IT COMES

Status
Not open for further replies.