Clinic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnbiker

My question is what defines a health care area ?

some background, i work for a manufacturing company that produces medical devices. we are in the planning stages of putting in a "clinic" on site.
the prints i have seen show a waiting room, small exam room with sink, and a small area they call a lab. this will be run by a RN. no doctor on site.
The print shows a few recepticles scattered around the area. We have about 800 employees on site.

I have looked through the code book in the health care area, and that would require alot more than what the print shows. I have no expreince in the health care area of this. i not even sure sure what questions I would need to ask to find out what wiring methods would be acceptable.

Thanks

greenspark1

Have you read 517.1 and 517.2 carefully?

"Health Care facilities. Building or portions of buildings in which medical, dental, ..... care are provided... facilities include, but are not limited to, hospitals... clinics, medical and dental offices...

Looks clearcut to me. This is a health care facility.

My question is what defines a health care area ?
Nursing qualifies. 517.2
some background, i work for a manufacturing company that produces medical devices. we are in the planning stages of putting in a "clinic" on site.
the prints i have seen show a waiting room, small exam room with sink, and a small area they call a lab. this will be run by a RN. no doctor on site.
No doctor onsite makes it easy. We can assume, for now, there will be no anesthetic procedures or other body invasive procedures. Though you will ask, right:) This makes it easy as it eliminates Parts III and IV. Does their work involve X-rays? We'll assume no. That eliminates Part V. With Part III eliminated they have not need for isolated power systems so we'll assume no Part VII.

That doesn't leave much. Part II applies to the patient exam room itself so that is a must read. At least through 517.17. Other that that we only have Part VI for Communications, Signaling, Data Systems, Fire Alarm Systems, and Systems less that 120V This extends the protection of Part II to low voltages systems. So any such system have to be in metal conduit in the patient area. 517.82 requires that such systems, if interconnected, derive their data grounds from a common point. Not much of a problem in this day and age of wireless laptops and pocket phones, but something that needs to be monitored. ( OK, yes people, not an NEC required followup:) )

The print shows a few recepticles scattered around the area. We have about 800 employees on site.
Receptacles in the patient area must be supplied by metallic raceway or metal sheathed cable systems 517.13(A) and must have an insulated ground wire 517.13(B). In addition if the area is served from different panels then the panel grounds have to be bonded together with #10. 517.14

I have looked through the code book in the health care area, and that would require alot more than what the print shows. I have no expreince in the health care area of this. i not even sure sure what questions I would need to ask to find out what wiring methods would be acceptable.

Thanks

Verify that there are no activities that would require Parts III,IV,V and VII. Those are the gnarly ones. Read Part II and Part VI. Part II is really quite simple. Assuring future adherence to Part VI in this day of ubiquitous electronic devices may require monitoring, or supervision procedures be addressed.

Disclaimer: Look, I am not an ME. Any advice contained herein should be considered for what it is, an internet posting. I'm just suggesting that the situation you described is not that gnarly. You're the ME. Study the code. Install it to code. You can do this:thumbsup:

mnbiker

Thanks, thats what i am looking for. At this point it looks just to be a nurse's office with an exam table. I am waiting on more information, i just wanted to have some idea of where this could be heading.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.