Clip the ground wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

When working in a house that has 2-wire circuits is there a code that requires clipping the ground wire when you add onto or change a circuit using nmb?

I clip it so in the future people don’t make assumptions about it being a grounded circuit and start add 3 prong receptacles to a non-grounded circuit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
However, you're not supposed to connect EGCs in such situations. Otherwise, a hot-to-case fault in one device could energize the case of another.

sw_ross

I wondered about it, couldn’t find anything in the code.

I’ve always clipped the ground. I’ve been in boxes where previous electricians did the same. Makes sense.

I’m not prone to adding more to the code book but it would make sense if it were required so future work done on the circuit isn’t assumed to be working on a grounded circuit when there’s a ground present.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Does this notion fall afoul of 406.4(B)? You are not talking about a replacement, which would be covered by 406.4(D).

But now speaking as a homeowner in answer to the original question, I get upset when I look at a box and see that the EGC conductor has been clipped. What if I wanted someone to upgrade the circuit by connecting the EGC at the outlet and finding a way to connect it (however indirectly) to the ground bar in the panel? 250.130(C) offers several options for accomplishing this. A clipped wire would not allow that connection to be made.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Isn't that the "No Equipment Ground" sticker for 2-prong outlets downstream from a GFCI?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Does this notion fall afoul of 406.4(B)? You are not talking about a replacement, which would be covered by 406.4(D).

But now speaking as a homeowner in answer to the original question, I get upset when I look at a box and see that the EGC conductor has been clipped. What if I wanted someone to upgrade the circuit by connecting the EGC at the outlet and finding a way to connect it (however indirectly) to the ground bar in the panel? 250.130(C) offers several options for accomplishing this. A clipped wire would not allow that connection to be made.

I'm with you Charlie.

You guys quit snipping those EGC's off.

JAP>

sw_ross

That concept is what got me thinking about whether to clip or not clip...
Currently I’m working in a house that has mostly 2-wire circuits. Most of what I’m doing is changes related to lighting circuits.

As I was working, running new NMB, I was debating about the idea of somewhere down the road if someone wanted to upgrade the circuit to I grounded circuit I’m just making things harder for that person.

On the other hand, I can’t imagine how involved it would be to go through a house and upgrade the lighting circuits to grounded unless it was a total gut and started from scratch!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What code rule states that?

JAP>

406.6(D)(2)(b)(c)
(b) A non–grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted
to be replaced with a ground-fault circuit interrupter-type
of receptacle(s). These receptacles or their cover plates shall be
marked “No Equipment Ground.” An equipment grounding
conductor shall not be connected from the ground-fault
circuit-interrupter-type receptacle to any outlet supplied from
the ground-fault circuit-interrupter receptacle.

(c) A non–grounding-type receptacle(s) shall be permitted
to be replaced with a grounding-type receptacle(s) where
supplied through a ground-fault circuit interrupter. Where
grounding-type receptacles are supplied through the ground fault
circuit interrupter, grounding-type receptacles or their
cover plates shall be marked “GFCI Protected” and “No Equipment
Ground,” visible after installation. An equipment grounding
conductor shall not be connected between the grounding type
receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.