Closet Light Clearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
As I read 410.8 about closet light clearances it is not clear if there is height clearance above a shelf for a covered surface mount incandescent fixture.

I would say that if I have 12" above the shelf this would be an accepted installation.

Yes or No?

Norb

ryan_618

Re: Closet Light Clearances

No.

If you have 12' above the shelf but don't have the required horizontal clearance, it would not be an acceptable installation.

Perhaps you should write a change for 2008 to address this. I for one would like to see it address height.

Occupation
Inspector

Ryan:

I feel there should be some consideration for clearance above the shelf as well. I'll try to compose an appropriate proposal.

Norb

jerryb

410.8(d)(1) says "Surface-mounted incandescent luminaires installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 12 inches between the luminaire and the nearest point of a storage space."

Occupation
Inspector

JerryB:

410.8(d)(1) says "Surface-mounted incandescent luminaires installed on the wall above the door or on the ceiling, provided there is a minimum clearance of 12 inches between the luminaire and the nearest point of a storage space."
Am I correct that your opinion is that this would be a legal installation? I think the article stated is a little vague.

Norb

allenwayne

This is a stupid requirement and should be addressed,I did a home a few years ago and all of the ceilings :D
Guess I will have to draw up a proposal for next code cycle but who here agrees with me ???

luke warmwater

The problem is, how high can things be placed on the shelf?
As far as Code is concerned, it is all the way to the ceiling.
There are tall boxes or items that could be placed on a shelf that could reach even a tall ceiling height.
If a ceiling mounted fixture is too close to the shelf, a tall item could even be leaned onto the fixture.
That wouldn't be a good thing.

Occupation
Inspector

...There are tall boxes or items that could be placed on a shelf that could reach even a tall ceiling height.
If a ceiling mounted fixture is too close to the shelf, a tall item could even be leaned onto the fixture.
That wouldn't be a good thing.
Could the same be true for a box or item wider than the shelf it is placed on?

Norb

pierre

There is an illustration to go along with the section number. Take a look at this illustration, and you can clearly see that the width of the shelf to the ceiling is part of the requirement.

Some closets are small enough that legally installing a fixture is difficult.

hess

the state of Tennessee has a law that overrides the nec on this
0780-2-1-11(2)light fixtures in clothes closets 28 inches or less in depth shall be mounted on the ceiling or wall above the door. these fixtures shall be so located that the fixture is within 4 inches of the intersection of the ceiling and entrance wall. such fixtures shall be thermally protected and either incandescent recessed with solid lens or fluorescent with single bulb holder.

hess

matter of fact you can see all of Tennessee rules and regulations, if any Tennessee electricians are out there the state doesn't give away the yellow book anymore, you must go here and print it off if you want one.
www.state.tn.us/sos/rules/0780/0780-02/0780-02-01.pdf
i wish mike had a place where you could put all state and local rules. it would be nice to know other state requirement, if you did work in other states or cities.

[ May 09, 2005, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: hess ]

Status
Not open for further replies.