CLX explosion proof connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihotcek

Offshore, I will be installing CLX cable to transmitters. Can I install a union in between my explosion proof cable connector and transmitter to make it maintenance friendly?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Offshore, I will be installing CLX cable to transmitters. Can I install a union in between my explosion proof cable connector and transmitter to make it maintenance friendly?
Yes, you can. What is now 501.15 has been revised so many times that proper cross-referencing has been lost or made confusing. Essentially though, where enclosure seals are required, they should be within 18" of the enclosure and small fittings (unions are specifically referenced) are permitted between the enclosure and the seal. See the last paragraph in Subsection 501.15(A)(1); ultimately, properly read and analyzed, cross references in other Subsections of 501.15 will lead you there for all enclosure seal applications. (It can be a tough journey though)

kameele

the fitting that you use with the CLX actually serves as a union. Take a look at the Cr-H TMCX fitting instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.