CO Detector Location

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
This may get rejected because it is not NEC related...

NYS Fire code states that a CO detector (where required) needs to be 10ft from the entrance to the sleeping area in dwelling units. Does anyone know why 10ft is the magic number when a CO detector has better range than 10ft? I keep running into situations where I have a hall way with multiple CO detectors down a corridor because the bedroom doors are greater than 20ft apart.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired

NYS Fire code states that a CO detector (where required) needs to be 10ft from the entrance to the sleeping area in dwelling units. Does anyone know why 10ft is the magic number when a CO detector has better range than 10ft? I keep running into situations where I have a hall way with multiple CO detectors down a corridor because the bedroom doors are greater than 20ft apart.
It's a local amendment. My state required a CO detector within 15' of the entrance to a bedroom.

Ron

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

I can only speculate as to why. If CO is traveling down the corridor toward the bedrooms, would you want to know sooner or later about the threat?

dalu

New User
Occupation
Inspector
have a question does anyone have a code for smoke locations if i have a 12'' header between living room and entry that ill need one in both rooms cant remember the nfpa code

farmantenna

It could be NFPA 72 chapter 17. 7.3.... or chapter 29.

Depends on height of ceiling. The beam's affect on smoke flow is reduced as ceiling height increases, but I'd ask your local fire department's prevention office.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
have a question does anyone have a code for smoke locations if i have a 12'' header between living room and entry that ill need one in both rooms cant remember the nfpa code
Per NFPA 72, a separate detector would be required in each area if the beam depth is greater than 10% of the floor to ceiling height in the beam pocket.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sleeping area means the entire corridor, not each room. One detector at the opening to the hallway covers the entire area.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
You're welcome.

Besides one in each bedroom, also one between the bedrooms and the rest of the house.
I looked back at the code... and the definition of a sleeping area is "a room or space that can be used, either on an occasional or permanent basis, for sleeping." I now don't think I can agree that the corridor can be considered the sleeping area.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I looked back at the code... and the definition of a sleeping area is "a room or space that can be used, either on an occasional or permanent basis, for sleeping." I now don't think I can agree that the corridor can be considered the sleeping area.
No, the doorway to the corridor is between the sleeping area and the rest of the house.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

I am pretty sure that CO detectors don't have range; they detect when CO molecules pass through them.