Coax 735C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have been asked to install coax 735C, however, I can't find much usable info online, my local graybar is not much help nor the local shop.

here are the recommended specs of the job:

use 735C for up to 225'.

If you have any experience with this cable, the termination and the associated tools, I would like your feedback.

Thank you.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Who is asking you to install this? Or is it just a generic note on a set of plans? Most business that have DS type circuits have full time IT and Network people. You should probably get with them to see exactly what they want from you.

Must be a really old spec. AT&T 735 coax (and it's friend 734) are/were used for T-3/DS3 signals (45Mbps). It's a 75 ohm cable, almost, but not quite the same dimensions as bog standard "RG59". OTOH, it's pretty good for NTSC video. Do you know the application?

RLyons

Must be a really old spec. AT&T 735 coax (and it's friend 734) are/were used for T-3/DS3 signals (45Mbps). It's a 75 ohm cable, almost, but not quite the same dimensions as bog standard "RG59". OTOH, it's pretty good for NTSC video. Do you know the application?
734 & 735 is still widely used within Verizon.
You can try Anixter for what you need.
No sure about the application but they make 3, 6 and 12 pack cables.
Connectors are BNC and probably not as common LCC and special strippers and crimpers are used.

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just checked Graybar online. They have 3000' of non plemum cable at their Fresno Hub and no Plenum cable available locally. They definitely are not selling much of it in California these days with that low amount of stock.

RLyons

Sure, still used where there are ds3 circuits*, but that's pretty uncommon these days except at telco facilities. You need specific 75 ohm BNC connectors for this stuff.

*well, more correctly T3 circuits, a DS3 could be on fiber.
DS3 on fiber?
We muxed DS3's to OC3- OC148 across fiber never a single ds3. I use to work for Telco and I am still amazed by the multiplexing technology especially when DWDM came out.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
ATT is requesting this installation. They will bring fiber to the demarc point then transition to 734 or 735 which will go to the client's server room.

Is there a compatible cable that I can use or suggest to ATT?

Thanks

If I am stuck in using 734 or 735 how much do the tools cost and how easy are the terminations to make up?

curt swartz

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Edward, try searching for just 735 cable (without the C). You can find many places that have cable, tools and connectors. You can also buy pre-made 735 cables which may be your best option for this install if you can find a cable the correct length. There is no reason to invest in a large reel of cable and tools for a once in a lifetime install. This type of cabling is on its way out for newer cabling methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.