Coaxial cable protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjlight

I have not run much cable for television cable TV. I am wondering what your experience is for electrical interference. I know you are suppose to be 6" away. Can you put it in conduit (and what type) and/or shield it in any way if you are closer? Does that include a perpendicular run across an electrical (NM) wire? I am also curious what is causing the need to stay away, is it harmonics or inductive loads as well?

Thanks, Raymond

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
rjlight said:
I have not run much cable for television cable TV. I am wondering what your experience is for electrical interference. I know you are suppose to be 6" away. Can you put it in conduit (and what type) and/or shield it in any way if you are closer? Does that include a perpendicular run across an electrical (NM) wire? I am also curious what is causing the need to stay away, is it harmonics or inductive loads as well?

Thanks, Raymond
Coaxial cable is shielded already. Many of us try to keep a separation but I don't believe you have to worry about it in your situation. We always try to avoid parallel runs and some say to stay 12". Perpendicular runs are okay.
I see the cable installers pull the wire throught the same hole as my NM cables. Go figure.

Cable TV coax is inherently shielded (better coax has better shielding). IMHO, there's seldom a reason to attempt any more spacing that is needed for a neat/professional installation. Please make sure it has lighting protection and is grounded per code. Interference? None to speak of.

Status
Not open for further replies.