code changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

Hey guys two items have came up in past two days. First I planned on using a mechanical lug in disconect for ac unit. Boss said I had to use a ground bar trying to find code for this. Second one we were running shy on wire. I sugested why not phase a different color gray. Boss told me that per code any wire smaller then a #8 had to be that color. Ive never heard of any such code has anyone else. If so please lead me in correct direction on both of these articles thanks

physis

Re: code changes

200.6(A). 6 AWG and smaller.

[ July 16, 2005, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

southernboys

Thanks Sam. Now is it me or is this code kinda silly. If I tape it gray coming out of the pipe on both ends how would an inspector catch this. ALso what would be wrong with just taping the wire like any other wire. Sorry just venting am Interested if anyone else feels as I do

hurk27

I sugested why not phase a different color gray
You have an AC unit that requires a neutral?
Gray and white are only allowed for grounded (neutral) conductors?

If this is for a grounding conductor then 250.119 has the same requirments, But we can use bare in most installations. :D

Also see 408.20 for the grounding buss bar requirment.

southernboys

Wayne it threw me for a loop as well. Its 3phase so I thought it wouldnt need a grounded conductor however the specs call for one. It was sometype of hv heater equipment. Not exactly sure what it was

tx2step

Originally posted by hurk27:
[QB

Also see 408.20 for the grounding buss bar requirment. [/QB]
This was for a disconnect switch on an A/C unit, not a panelboard, so 408.20 wouldn't apply.

I don't see why a mechanical lug (bolted to the enclosure) wouldn't be OK unless he was trying to put 2 wires into one lug and the lug wasn't rated that way?

hurk27

408.2 Other Articles.
Switches , circuit breakers, and overcurrent devices used on switchboards, panelboards, and distribution boards, and their enclosures, shall comply with this article and also with the requirements of Articles 240, 250, 312, 314, 404, and other articles that apply. Switchboards and panelboards in hazardous (classified) locations shall comply with the requirements of Articles 500 through 517.
A disconnect is not considered a switch?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by hurk27:
A disconnect is not considered a switch?
Sure it is, but Article 408 still does not apply in this case.

408.2 Other Articles.
Switches , circuit breakers, and overcurrent devices used on switchboards, panelboards, and distribution boards, and their enclosures, shall comply with this article and also with the requirements of Articles 240, 250, 312, 314, 404, and other articles that apply. Switchboards and panelboards in hazardous (classified) locations shall comply with the requirements of Articles 500 through 517.
Unless the disconnect is used on a panelboard we can forget 408.

Look at the scope of 408

408.1 Scope.
This article covers the following:

(1)All switchboards, panelboards, and distribution boards installed for the control of light and power circuits

(2)Battery-charging panels supplied from light or power circuits

[ July 17, 2005, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

pierre

From Bob

"Look at the scope of 408

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
408.1 Scope.
This article covers the following:

(1)All switchboards, panelboards, and distribution boards installed for the control of light and power circuits

(2)Battery-charging panels supplied from light or power circuits
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"

This is very important to remember, and I teach it all the time.
Read the scope, sometimes it will save you a lot of trouble in looking in the wrong location. :)

mc5w

200.7(C)(1) allows you to recolor a white wire that is smaller than #6 that is a part of a cable such as romex or MC. What you want to do is common for central air conditioners, water heaters, and so forth.

If the conductors are in conduit then you theoretically have to use wires that are factory colored for hot wire use, neutral use, and grounding use.

However, a lot of inspectors around here still allow you to recolor black or red #10 wire to white or green for installations that have very few 30 amp circuits in conduit. The problem is that the supply houses will cut different colors of #8 and #6 wire but not #10. Home Depot theoretically will cut colored #10 stranded conduit wire but in some cases you might be stuck with #10 solid wire.

The concern of Article 200 is that electricians might make mistakes when reidentifying wires and to require first class installations. However, the problem arises when you are working by yourself during a recession or depression and you cannot afford to stock 3 or 4 reels of #10 stranded THWN wire.

Maybe your boss is thinking of a disconnect switch as a mini switchboard. Also, bolting 2 box lugs together to make a bround bar is bush league and more likely to fail than a real ground bar. I have also installed ground bars in 3-gang and larger switch boxes as that is the only reasonable way to handle that many ground wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.