code compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbaird1

I have an inspector who is asking if an aluminum LB with gasket and cover are rated for outdoor locations.This application is on a rooftop and have never heard this one, any answeres?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
dbaird1 said:
I have an inspector who is asking if an aluminum LB with gasket and cover are rated for outdoor locations.This application is on a rooftop and have never heard this one, any answeres?
Manufacturers are usually the best source for design/rating documentation.

I've never heard of a conduit body with gasket that was not outdoor rated.

Code aside, I would think that aluminum is better than steel on a roof-top.

celtic

The only thing I can think of is....
you buy a LB and install it....
then at some later time you buy the cover and gasket and install them...
at which point you realize the LB is a set-screw variety but the wire is already pulled and landed......
maybe the inspector won't notice :roll:

If the LB is threaded, wouldn't it be outdoor rated based on that alone?

celtic

walkerj said:
Why would it have a gasket if it wasn't designed to withstand moisture:-?

I just happen to have taken a picture or two about this....

:::pLEASE STAND BY::: :wink:

celtic

Sorry for the delay....

These pictures were shot at the job trailers:

0930080952c.jpg

0930080952.jpg

When I opened the LB, water just flowed - might as well have been a plumbing line :)

The "T" apparently drianed 99% of it's contents into the LB.

Both condulets had covers and gaskets....why was there so much water?
The EMT had been in place for only about 2 months.
[I do notice the fittngs don't have the tell-tale green tagging...why? I don't know? This was a repair job for us after the fact]

My question is:
Does a gasket really do anything other than just keep the water inside the fitting/pipe run?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
celtic said:
When I opened the LB, water just flowed - might as well have been a plumbing line :)

My question is:
Does a gasket really do anything other than just keep the water inside the fitting/pipe run?
We'd have to see the rest of the install to see how the water got in, but it does show why wires have to be W rated even in conduit outdoors.

I drill two 1/8" holes in the lowest places, fittings, and/or boxes in everything I install outdoors.

celtic

LarryFine said:
We'd have to see the rest of the install to see how the water got in, but it does show why wires have to be W rated even in conduit outdoors.

I guess I'll be taking some more pix :smile:

mpd

i would also think if it is threaded it is listed for wet location, unless it is marked to say otherwise

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Regarding threaded or not, as long as it meets 110.3(B) it'll be okay. As far as threaded, or not, I try to remember that form seven covers have a "7" shape to catch the inside lip, form"8" has a figure 8 race track design on it.

mxslick

celtic said:
Sorry for the delay....

These pictures were shot at the job trailers:

0930080952c.jpg

0930080952.jpg

The EMT had been in place for only about 2 months.
[I do notice the fittngs don't have the tell-tale green tagging...why? I don't know? This was a repair job for us after the fact]

My question is:

Water usually builds up in conduits due mainly to condensation (and a lot can easily build up in a short time) and probably to a lesser extent from water wicking in throught the threads on the condulet bodies and fittings.

On the conduit run to my attic here at the apt. I cut a small notch in the bottom of the gasket on the LB at the panel to allow water buildup to drain.

A samall hole at the low points as suggested before is also a good idea, if the condulet body is above any possible pooling of water. :)

LarryFine said:
Manufacturers are usually the best source for design/rating documentation.

I've never heard of a conduit body with gasket that was not outdoor rated.

Code aside, I would think that aluminum is better than steel on a roof-top.
a/u coduit bodies wont rust for sure, over time Ive noticed the steel covers along with the screws corrode rapidly. ESP. near tidewater regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.