code cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

The majority of the AHJ's ( fire districts and municipalites) in our area are using 05 some are still on 02 the question was brought up as to what code cycle one should use in an area that does not have code enforcement we have no state requirement and not all counties have code requirements so one of my guys asked should we wire to 05 as the surrounding distircts or use 08 ?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Everyone has some kind of code requirement, I believe that it's required by law that jurisdictions adopt some type of building standard. It doesn't have to be the NEC for electrical, you could adopt the IRC, but you have to adopt something.

kkwong

I would go with the last officially adopted code cycle. Two reasons: 1. its on the books and the EI/other Inspectors are probably inspecting to that anyway. The other reason is that (and this is for the lawyers) you can argue that there was no offical adoption of later code cycles.

If you have a municpality/jurisdiction that has adopted nothing, then I would go with the most recent cycle for everything since it would (theorectically) be the most restrictive code.

SEO

Use the latest code 2008. How in the world can you bid against other contractors when there is no code enforcement?

coulter

SEO said:
... How in the world can you bid against other contractors when there is no code enforcement?
Tough one. I'd probably try to stay with jobs that were engineered and had specs.

I wouldn't want to work for someone that was so stupid they thought it was okay to build sub-standard, un-reliable, dangerous.

carl

wbalsam1

Rewire said:
The majority of the AHJ's ( fire districts and municipalites) in our area are using 05 some are still on 02 the question was brought up as to what code cycle one should use in an area that does not have code enforcement we have no state requirement and not all counties have code requirements so one of my guys asked should we wire to 05 as the surrounding distircts or use 08 ?

Follow this link to your state: http://www.iccsafe.org/government/adoption.html

Now, just click on Mo. and your different counties will come up with the various codes that are in effect. I'll bet that it's the '05 code that's referenced out of the Building code and possibly the '02 code referenced out of the Residential code...but that's only a guess. :smile:

wirebender

Rewire said:

Judging by your location you should use this one:

9780877657941.jpg

:D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.