Code for boats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend wanting me to help with wiring of house bouts for his business. The question arises I know NEC does not cover boats but is there any regulation on boats? If so does any one know what it is or where to find it?

Thanks
Dan

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Code for boats?

There is a Marine standard on vessels and their wiring, but I can not tell you where to access it. I worked on vessels from 30' to a 90' charter boat 20 years ago, and the wiring methods were spelled out using this manual.

Try searching the U.S. Coast Guard.

Roger

physis

I'd be interested in knowing about that too. I'm kind of a boat guy, B I G boats too, but I don't know much about wiring standards.

tshea

Absolute best source of boat electricity info is a book that is usually available at West Marine called Boatowner's Mechanical & Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems by Nigel Calder.

physis

I'm not sure if it's cool or not but I've spent thousands at West Marine. :cool:

Edit: It was really hard to do too!

[ April 23, 2005, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

mc5w

There is a chapter 5 NEC article on floating buildings which treats a floating building about the same as a mobile home.

There are quite a few localities that have outlawed 15 amp wiring.

I would use all nonmetallic type raceways and type UF or SE cable. Corruclad, which has an aluminum corrugated and welded sheath is a possibility. You can also get plastic sheathed type MC cable.

edavis2293

Codes are available through U.S. Coast Guard and for ships American Bureau of Shipping. We use these often with offshore platforms, drill ships, lay barges, etc.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I am not 100% sure 553 would apply to a houseboat. According to the definition, a floating building is moored in a permanent location. I don't know what to make of that.

It also says floating buildings are served by a permanent electric supply from off premises. Would a plug type connection be permanent?

I looked through the NFPA codes, and I am supprised I don't find any on boats in general.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.