Code for Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie

The NEC is already on the Internet on the NFPA website. Unless this guy is converting the codes to searchable text, the form they come in from the publisher is the only way they would be of use to most people. I tend to agree with him on government produced documents; however, the documents produced by the NFPA are paid for with the purchase price. I wonder how much it would cost to revise the various codes if the NFPA could not sell copies of the finished work? Who would pay for the work to revise the code? :-?

celtic

charlie said:
The NEC is already on the Internet on the NFPA website.

True....but when did it first appear...and who had it up?
The NFPA or some other source?

If I recall, it was a website based in Japan. In short time, that site was down and lo and behold, NFPA had the NEC for online viewing.

active1

Who would pay for the work to revise the code?

What about having each municipality pay a license fee to NEC/NFPA?
Then have a downloadable version free. Send out books and CD's for a bit over printing, shipping, and handeling. Free CD's sent out to NFPA members.

As it is now the NEC is about free to the goverment and paid for by the trade workers.

Some smaller towns might say they have 3 copies of the NEC available at the building department and library. At a cost of say $40 each the total would be $120 to the town.

The same town might have dozens of EC and even more electricians. Figure 100 copies were sold to the trade in that town at $40 each would be $4,000.

celtic

mdshunk said:
So that the PM's stop, here's at least one place (a list of links to government websites!) where you can download code PDF's for free:

http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

I just read a story about the

foil.seal.white2.png

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10050687-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1023_3-0-5

celtic

mdshunk said:
Okay... I never read the story in the OP. I guess it's about the same place I linked to. Go on Limewire anytime and you can get whatever you want too.

Limewire is so last century...
Torrents are the new P2P of the New Millennium

:grin:

I still have LW :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.