Code in TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestes08

New User
Occupation
electrical inspections
Good morning. I am looking to ask a question regarding code in TX. Should light poles and and/or a fence outside a tennis court be grounded, by code? Thank You!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't think this would vary by state. If there are no electrical components (e.g., lights, receptacle outlets, 120V Powered cameras, etc.) mounted on the fence itself, then there would be no need for grounding the fence.

But what do you mean by grounding a light pole? Do you mean installing a ground rod near the light pole and connecting it to the metal portion of the pole? If so, then you likely don't need a ground rod. A light pole meets the definition of "structure." A structure that has power will normally require a grounding electrode system. See 250.32(A). However, an exception to that rule says that no ground rod is needed if the structure (i.e., light pole) is fed by a single branch circuit that includes an equipment grounding conductor. That is almost always the case. So light poles almost never require a ground rod.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would think that a fence, which is typically held up by posts installed several feet in the ground and encased in concrete are already grounded. I see no reason why they would need to be bonded to the electrical system.

Status
Not open for further replies.