Code issue dates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone suggest a good source for the issue dates of different codes? I can't seem to find anything and I'm trying to settle an argument with another journeyman (also a buddy of mine). Thanks alot

480sparky

If you're wanting to know what years a 'different' codebook is issued, it's right there on the very first page of your codebook.

If you're looking for when a specific code was adopted, well, that's gonna take a little legwork and access to all the previous codes.

The argument was concerning 210.52(B). He feels that before this code were adopted there was no chance of finding 2 general circuits in the kitchen. With the info he found, supposedly it was adopted sometime in 1996. My argument is the fact that I have seen 2 plug circuits in lots of houses built in the the 80's, some of which actually divided the counter plugs as well. A petty argument I know, but this is partly for my own education. Talking to my local building department is probably off of the table, i can imagine the blank stares i would get. I'm wondering if this was something electricians were possibly doing prior to the code adoption. Thanks

480sparky

When the NEC 'required' it and when the local jurisdiction 'required' it are rarely the same.

Many AHJs are several years behind the code cycle. Some are on the 2017 today, some are one the 2014, some are still on the 2011...... So just because a house was built in, say, 1988 doesn't mean it was wired to the 1987 NEC. Heck, the NEC may not have been the adopted code for that jurisdiction at the time. They may have used a local code then.

If any code at all.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The NFPA has revision information for every NEC cycle posted on their website. You have to 'Select Edition' and then wade through the documentation to see if you can find a clue to what you're looking for.

https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-stan...ds/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=70

California is three years behind NEC publication, with the nominal year being early by one. e.g. the California equivalent of the 1993 NEC was the 1995 California Electric Code, and it went into effect Jan. 1st 1996.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The argument was concerning 210.52(B). He feels that before this code were adopted there was no chance of finding 2 general circuits in the kitchen. With the info he found, supposedly it was adopted sometime in 1996. My argument is the fact that I have seen 2 plug circuits in lots of houses built in the the 80's, some of which actually divided the counter plugs as well. A petty argument I know, but this is partly for my own education. Talking to my local building department is probably off of the table, i can imagine the blank stares i would get. I'm wondering if this was something electricians were possibly doing prior to the code adoption. Thanks

The requirement for two Small Appliance branch circuits has been in the NEC since at least the 1971 addition, it was found in article 220-3(a).

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.