code minimum requirement cooking appliances and circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't think a countertop microwave would qualify as a "permanent provision for cooking." So if that is the only method available to heat food, then this facility would not meet the NEC article 100 definition of "dwelling unit."

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
On the other hand, if the microwave was actually built in rather than sitting on s shelf in a cabinet recess (a combined hood and micro, for example), then a micro might count.

cadpoint

What kind of place is this?

My thoughts are that in the end you will be required to provide a minimum of two circuits for this area and have to address the requirements for all other equipment that might or might not be used.

This place was a either a dorm or hotel conversation to apartment dwelling. It was done probably 30 years ago. I would like to be able to tell the new owners it was never legit not to have proper kitchens with cooking and SABCs.

cadpoint

Darn, I was thinking it was a slab of concrete in vertical on a hikers path!

Charger station, Microwave.... keep the kids happy!

:cool:

cadpoint

Well your in California

First, I went with a open wall, pool side, Cantina, under a roof.

I dropped the pool and under roof.

Welcome to the Forum, Sometimes people will just ask for more information
or "?'n" things...

Enjoy, I think your on the right path, you have to do your Calc's for the conversation
be it a Motel/Hotel room or Dorm Room; Motel/Hotel is in Code - Dorm Room I can't recall...

Don't let the Owner Stretch you out, most of this, due to Volume needs to be engineered, IMO.
But hey your in CA!

The issue is if the owner has to do anything.
The conversion was done decades ago. They are having problems with overloaded circuits. I think it was an illegal conversion. However maybe it was compliant at the time.
I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.