Code Quandaries Hot Tub Article in EC&M July 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
May be I' not reading this right, but the 5th question started out saying that the tub was located at a single family dwelling. In the answer Mike Holt says that the disconnect needs to be at least 5 ft. away and references 680.41 which says that this requirement does not apply to single family residences. Then in his note he says that the emergency shut off must be within 5 ft. of the hot tub. I'm confussed. Can some one help me out.

radiopet

May be I' not reading this right, but the 5th question started out saying that the tub was located at a single family dwelling. In the answer Mike Holt says that the disconnect needs to be at least 5 ft. away and references 680.41 which says that this requirement does not apply to single family residences. Then in his note he says that the emergency shut off must be within 5 ft. of the hot tub. I'm confussed. Can some one help me out.

I can't comment as I have not seen the article to put in context what Mike is saying. Once i see the article I would comment.

Possibly ( without seeing the article ) he was trying to reference 680.42 which references Part I and II of 680. Then maybe 680.12 and it's requirements.

Again hard to tell without seeing the article.

Or maybe he was refering to switches in general....680.43(C)...lol

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I haven't seen the article either but for single family dwellings an emergency switch is not required, however a maintenance disconnect is still required for servicing the tub. These are two different types of switches serving two different purposes. The emergency shutoff switch is permitted to interrupt the control circuit to shut off the tub and maintenance disconnect would not be permitted to do so.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As Rob has said, the emo switch, within 5' of the tub, is for non dwelling units for emergency cutoff by users of the tub. The disconnect, which must be more than 5' but within sight, is for maintenance purposes. The dwelling unit tub does not need the emo switch

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Steve, welcome to the forum. :)

If you re-read the answer, the first paragraph is "on topic", talking about the dwelling unit hot tub in the question. In the second paragraph, he expands on that answer starting with the phrase "For other than one family dwellings..."

Status
Not open for further replies.