Code question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my Arkansas Journymens exam last week and ran across a question I had never seen before. The question asked what the maximum allowable strand in a 1/0 conductor when used in PVC conduit. Any help would be nice seeing as how I failed by one question!!

" it is noted that a 1/0 conductor has 19 strands. When using a1/0 conductor in rigid PVC conduit, what is maximum allowable strand?"

A. #14awg
B. #12 awg
C. #10awg
D. #8awg

It didn't make any sense to me either!!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Then A-#14 AWG if my table 9 calcs are correct.

Total 1/0 kcmil divided 19.
The bit about PVC conduit is a red herring. If the conductor is 1/0 and there are 19 strands, seems to me that fixes the strand diameter right there.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My problem with the question is its use of the word ?allowable.? There is no code article that says what is allowable and what is not. There is simply Table 8, and from that you can directly read the size of the strand. And the strand is not a #14.

The diameter of each strand given in Table 8 is 1.89 mm. The area of a strand is given by Pi times the square of the diameter divided by 4, and is 2.81 mm2. That puts each strand between a #14 (area 1.08 mm2) and a #12 (area 3.31 mm2). The area of 19 of these strands would then be 53.3 mm2. The tabulated area of a 1/0 is 53.49 mm2, making the gap space between the individual strands fairly small at 1.9 mm2 or so.

Daja7

What possible purpose is that question for a code exam. It is not like you are building the conductor.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
What possible purpose is that question for a code exam. It is not like you are building the conductor.
I think the point is to test whether the applicant can use the codebook to find the answer to a question.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I think the point is to test whether the applicant can use the codebook to find the answer to a question.
And also whether they are capable of solving word puzzles to understand a very poorly written question. I was not aware that qualification was required of an electrician, but it is a useful talent sometimes. Especially with badly translated installation instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.