Code Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbbbe

Can you feed a space saver microwave, the type that mount above the stove, from one of the two 20 amp small appliance circuits in the kitchen?

raider1

Staff member
Geoffrey Lyons said:
So it has to be on a dedicated circuit? Or is that the meaning of a small appliance circuit

A listed range hood that is cord and plug connected (A microwave this is designed to be installed above a range with a hood fan built in is listed as a range hood) must meet the requirments of 422.16(B)(4) as Ryan pointed out.

422.16(B)(4)(5) requires that the receptacle supplying the range hood be an individual branch circuit.

Also 210.52(B)(2) as pointed out by Bryan does not permit other outlets to be supplied by the 2 small appliance branch circuits.

So basically you can't put the above the range microwave on the small appliance branch circuits because it is not one of the receptacles listed in 210.52(B)(1) and you must install a dedicated circuit to the microwave because it is most likely listed as a rangehood and you would have to comply with 422.16(B)(4).

Hope I haven't confused you too much.

Chris

No not at all, thats what I had thought it shuold be ,but sorta confused myself after reading back&forth through the articles that were posted (meaning of small appliance i.e. mixer,blender etc.)

kbbbe

I appreciate the help, i have been pointed in the right direction. I must add that back in 1998 and 1999 I installed appliances right out of high school, and it was common practice to fish down the wall to the counter top recept, or the recept. behind the stove(if it was a gas stove) and mount a receptacle in the space above the microwave.

Status
Not open for further replies.