code question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbalsam1

A microwave receptacle is permitted to be a 15 ampere non-gfci- protected duplex receptacle in a kitchen area as long as it does not serve the countertop area. True? :-?

mcclary's electrical

A microwave receptacle is permitted to be a 15 ampere non-gfci- protected duplex receptacle in a kitchen area as long as it does not serve the countertop area. True? :-?

I agree with you,,,,and the "intent"agrees with you. BUT,,,,,,210.8 starts off with saying all 8 locations listed need GFI protection.

1) bathrooms
2)garages
3) outdoors
4) crawl spaces
5) unfinished basements
6) kitchens
7) wet bar sinks
8) boathouses

I know it goes on to say receptacles installed to serve countertop,,,but if an inspector has a narrow point of view,he might not read past the first word.

Disposals,dishwashers, trash compactors, microwave(not on counter) and fridge are not required to be GFI'd.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Yes it's true. No GFCI protection is required based on your scenario.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The receptacle may be able to be 15 amp but I'm guessing the circuit will need to be 20 amp. Check out the installation instructions with the microwave I'll bet they call out a circuit size. 1800 watts / by 120 volts = 15 amp and you can't load a receptacle to 100% on cord connected appliance. Just guessing at the 1800 watt part.;)

mcclary's electrical

The receptacle may be able to be 15 amp but I'm guessing the circuit will need to be 20 amp. Check out the installation instructions with the microwave I'll bet they call out a circuit size. 1800 watts / by 120 volts = 15 amp and you can't load a receptacle to 100% on cord connected appliance. Just guessing at the 1800 watt part.;)

I agree, I always run a 20 for micro. It pretty much eats the circuit up all by itslef.

Volta

You can if it is an individual circuit.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

210.23 (a) (1) may come into play, the OP did not say if it is "fastened in place" or not.

(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened in Place. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

What if it has a 15 amp plug?

Volta

210.23 (a) (1) may come into play, the OP did not say if it is "fastened in place" or not.

(1) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment Not Fastened in Place. The rating of any one cord-and-plug-connected utilization equipment not fastened in place shall not exceed 80 percent of the branch-circuit ampere rating.
Read the opening paragraph of 210.23 again. It shows that Sub-sections (A) through (D) are to be applied to "A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets ..."
What if it has a 15 amp plug?

Exactly. It is a cord-and-plug connection, not simply a receptacle. Manufacturers work in strange and mysterious ways, though.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Read the opening paragraph of 210.23 again. It shows that Sub-sections (A) through (D) are to be applied to "A branch circuit supplying two or more outlets ..."

Exactly. It is a cord-and-plug connection, not simply a receptacle. Manufacturers work in strange and mysterious ways, though.

Unless you put in a single receptacle on one yoke, a duplex recptacle is two receptacles on a branch circuit. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.