Code violation?: 1200A busduct transitioning to 600A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Existing switchboard has a 1200A busduct off the main switchboard rising up the floors of an office building. At the 6th floor, it transitions up to the top with 600A. Thanks!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
How old is the installation, what code was in effect?
How long is the 600A run?

The 2005 NEC 368.17(B) would not allow this in a non-industrial installation.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Code violation?: 1200A busduct transitioning to 600A

joulesarecool said:
Existing switchboard has a 1200A busduct off the main switchboard rising up the floors of an office building. At the 6th floor, it transitions up to the top with 600A. Thanks!

how is this any different than any other tap?

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

joulesarecool said:

petersonra said:
How is this any different than any other tap?

It's different in that it's specifically addressed in Article 368. The requirement goes back as far as the '99 Code, at least that's the oldest one I have with me.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

bdarnell said:
joulesarecool said:

petersonra said:
How is this any different than any other tap?

It's different in that it's specifically addressed in Article 368. The requirement goes back as far as the '99 Code, at least that's the oldest one I have with me.

my question was more along the lines of why is this requirement there? why does this type of tap require an OCPD and a tap using regular conductors does not? it does not appear there is any extra risk.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Another 240.21(E) code reference is another location that says busway taps are special.

My guess is, it is because plug-in busways are not much different than very long panelboards. Would you allow a 600A MLO panelboard to be fed from a 1200A feeder?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
jim dungar said:
Another 240.21(E) code reference is another location that says busway taps are special.

My guess is, it is because plug-in busways are not much different than very long panelboards. Would you allow a 600A MLO panelboard to be fed from a 1200A feeder?

again, i would ask, why would the 600A MLO PB be at more risk than any similar tap?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Most taps are required to terminate in a single OCP device that limits the ampacity. With plug-in bus duct, and MLO panelboards, you don't have that.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.